Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Update?

Hello all.
    I found this forum while I was researching for the purchase of my first table saw.
    Overall the 3650 seems like a good choice with the exception of the arbor issue. I read all the posts regarding this issue, but have not seen anything new about what RIDGID is doing about it. I can live with the leg support issue (much thanks to the person that posted the 'shopping list' to beef them up). But the arbor issue seems like a potential deal breaker to me. I was planning to just sit back a month or so to see what happens, but I have a 10% off coupon from HD that expires 12/31. That would save me almost $60.
    So my question is:
    Is there any new information on RIDGID's plans, or should I buy it anyway in the hopes that RIDGID makes good?
    I am somewhat limited to get a saw from HD, which is where I have gift cards from. I can purchase elsewhere, but I would not be able to spend as much. I'm in the $600 range at HD, $400-$500 anywhere else.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    Just getting started...

The last I knew Ridgid was going to post on 12/20 to inform everyone of their plans.....they must have gotten busy with the Holidays and all...

Comment

If you like the TS3650 buy it. Then you still have the 90 day no questions asked return policy on Ridgid tools. That will give you more time to see what happens. I have the 3650 and it has performed flawlessly. It was dead on out of the box. The arbor is only an issue when you do 1/4" dados with the outside blades of a dado set. My Frued inner chippers span the bad spot on the arbor so I can still do wider dados.

Comment

Well, I called ridgid and identified myself as a potential customer. I was told I would have to buy the saw, then take it to a repair facility. This would require me to take time off work (repair facility does not have worker-friendly hours), and drive about an hour one-way from where I work (90 mins one-way from where I live), drop the saw off, wait an unknown amount of time, then take more time off from work, and drive more to pick my 'new' saw up.
        I'm sorry, but that is not acceptable to me. Not when I am paying nearly $600 for a tool.
        Had Ridgid wanted my business they would have offered to authorize HD to ship the saw to a repair center and back on their dime.
        Just getting started...

Comment

K1768,

So, have you decided on which Ryobi saw you will be buying or will you be settling for the SKIL 3400?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Kevin,

FYI Not all machines have the problem, maybe you could check out the saw at the depot before taking it. On the other hand, Ridgid sent me the new arbor overnight. I had a choice wether to install my self, ( not too difficult, especially if the saw is not together yet) or bring just the arbor assemble to a local repair shop. My saw works great. Well worth it. BTW I only paid less than $500, waited for a 10% sale ( friends and family ). Good luck.

Comment

So, let me get this straight. Ridgid sponsors this forum. They have a table saw with a known defect. And they don't respond? Makes me more than a little nervous, since I just bought one of these saws and I'm in the middle of setting it up. I removed the supplied blade, and an eyeball view suggests that the arbor shoulder for the blade is narrow, then there's a step down, then the threads, which appear to have the same o.d. as the arbor. This suggest to me I'll suffer if I try to dado. Jeez, do I just quit now and take it back to Home Despot? Plus, I paid $569, no discount. Although I did take them up on one year no interest. But, if I keep it, how long did it take you to swap out the arbor?
              Richard

Comment

Jeez, do I just quit now and take it back to Home Despot?
                No time like the present....

Comment

Well, you're right, no time like the present, but then what to replace with? Feature for feature, this seems like a really nice unit. I also like the fact it weighs less than most in this class, and the lift/roller system is a huge plus, plus it comes with a nice fence for the money. What direction would you go? Confirm if the arbor is bad and replace the arbor, or toss in the towel and shop for another saw?
                  Richard

Comment

The Herculift is nice, no doubt, but you can build a buy a mobile base starting for under $20...not a good enough reason to keep a problem IMHO. There are several other excellent choices, some of which have a better fence, better miter gauge, better trunnions, better DC and/or stronger motor. The Grizzly 0444 or 0444Z both have great fences and very good cast iron miter gauges. The Bridgewood is a very nice saw that also has an excellent fence...same as Grizzly's. The new Sears 22114 has better DC, at least as good of a fence, a better trunnion design, a better miter and an enclosed motor that will take up less space. Then there's the new Delta 36-675, 680, 681, 682 series. Nice basic machines with fences ranging from very good to among the best you can buy. You might even find a GI 50-185 in the $650 range....excellent and highly rated machine. BTW, none of these have had any widespread problems.

Comment

I concur with hewood---there's a whole world of table saws out there---you just have to shop for them at places other than HD. and for the most part, with the exception of the new Sears saw, which is pretty new (no track record), none have had the mfg./design problems of the 3650.

Believe me----a mobile base is NOT a reason to buy a saw----to support hewood's comment----I built a base for my saw from some 3/4" scrap plywood and four casters--under $20 out of pocket, which lasted 12 years before the ply' showed any signs of bowing under the weight----a fix---few bucks more for some metal bracing----

Just look around.
                      Dave

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. You make a good point that a mobile base is not the basis to use in buying a saw. A major consideration to me was also weight. The Ridgid is 287 pounds, versus the 22114's 385 pounds. When it's all said and done, my hunch is I'll finish setting it up (I'm about an hour away), see how it works, and then return it. Hate going through the process twice, but I'd rather that than keep an inferior saw, if that's what I have.
                        Richard

Comment

Richard---you don't need to set it up to determine the problem----look at the beginning of one of the long threads on this---there is an excellent picture of what a bad arbor looks like.
                          Dave

Comment

Just a few words. I purchased the ts3650 and after learning of the arbor problem brought it back. You only get 30 days to get your money back after that youll get store credit something to think about. After bringing the saw back I ended up choosing the Grizzly G0576 a 2hp contractors saw that is left tilt, with 30 inch cutting capacity to the right of the blade. It comes with the shop fox aluma-classic fence and a pretty decent miter gauge. There is also no blade. I think that being able to cut a dado is an integral part of machining wood. Having to replace the arbor on a machine you just shelled 600 bucks out for is ridiculous. Well my two cents has run out.

Later Centaur76

Comment

Working...
                            X