Air compressor fitting leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor fitting leak

I have a New 0L50135W portable compressor and when I connect the hose it leaks a little air around the connection, this is New why should it be leaking?

David

If you didn't use teflon tape at the fitting joint then that could be your problem. If thats not the case then the problem is probably with the fitting and not necessarily the compressor.

I recently had the same problem with air leaking around my quick connect coupling. I tried replacing the coupling but that didn't solve the problem. I think the those quick connect couplings are just plain prone to leaking. My compressor is just a small pancake model so the solution for me has been to just let the air leak out between uses.

Another member here, wbrooks, suggested I try switching to a 3/8" U style fitting. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet but his advice is usually dead on and I plan on giving that a try.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I had a problem with my air compressor. I took some teflon tape and wraped that around the treads of the male hose ends. I have no idea how old my air compresser but it doesn't leak anymore. If the tape won't work try replacing the parts around the leak.
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Badgerdave bet me to the punch again! I should go back to my typing class!!
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Try to ascertain if the air is leaking from around your male thread connection or the quick connector on your hose. If it is a small leak soapy water will tell you where it is. Teflon tape, as mentioned by others here, should take care of the leak if it is the threads. Its possible that the quick connector is not sealing on the barbed end of your connection. Check to be sure you are pushing it all of the way on. Perhaps try the other end of your hose with out a tool. Defective hoses from the factory are not common but they do happen.

If you are still having leaks ask the supplier of your unit for advice.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

the quick connect seals on an o-ring. check to see if the mating surface is scratch free. an o-ring can be replaced, but it is cheap enough to swap out the whole connector. i use connectors that are all stainless with 8 b.b. to hold the plug in place. these are rated for 5000# and i also use them on my jetter. they are not that expensive. i purchased a large quantity of 1/4'' and 3/8'' male and female plugs and sockets for $100. came out to less than $1.50 a piece. these do have replaceable o-rings.

rick.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Plumber is right,It is not sealing around the barbed end in the quick connector. It's also not leaking bad now that I have used it for a while (comes on once every half hour or so when not in use). It must be the quick connector on the New machine because there is no leak when I plug that hose into my big shop compressor. I'll use it for a week or so and if it still leaks I'll contact Ridgid for another quick connect.

Again Thank you,
              David

Comment

Working...
              X