X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting exactline laser

The exactline laser on my 12" compount miter is not aligned to the exact left edge of the blade, but rather just slightly more left. Is there a way to adjust the laser?

The laser light is not adjustable.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have this same issue with my new mitre saw, and have seen similar postings. I'm very disappointed. Rigid should either redesign the laser device to provide a laser on the "exact" left edge of the kerf, or change the name from "exact-line" to "almost-line" Had I known beforehand that the laser was so inaccurate, I would have purchased the predecessor model that came with the mitre saw utility vehicle as a promotion. Wish I'd taken a look at these postings before I made my decision.

Comment

If you are unhappy, you have 90 days from date of purchase to return it for full credit. Why not see if you can still find an old version and do what you suggested. I think the old version plus a free MSUV is a much better deal anyway.

Comment

I might just do it. Is the free MSUV promotion still running? Thanks.

Comment

Your purchase receipt had to be dated by August 31st, and your documents had to be postmarked by September 11th.
            If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
              The laser light is not adjustable.
              I just recieved my ms1250lz for an early christmas present from the wife. She bought it on special sale back first part of Sept. so the 90 days are up already. My laser line is 3/8 inch to the left of the blade. I contacted service and they said to call 1-877-539-1710 for a replacement cause the laser disc may be off its tolerance. Hope this helps.

Comment

Calling BrandMan....Calling BrandMan!!

It seems as though there are more than just a few folks around who feel that Ridgid could have put a bit more effort into the laser guide disc on the new miter saw line. I have to admit, when I first heard of the Exactline brand of laser guide being on the new generation of Ridgid saws, my heart was all aflutter as I had just played around with a display model of Porter Cables 12 inch miter saw. The dual laser guides on that beast are adjustable to whatever kerf blade is being used on the miter saw and yes....you can put the guides right down on where the wood will be cut out by the blade. Based on what was out on the market already (ie: Porter Cable and Delta) I cannot see why Ridgid would invest time with a guide that only comes close to the actual blade cut. Granted, the purists out here in woodworking land say that a laser guide of any kind is simply window dressing as they have used these saws without such features ever since the cows came home. However, the bottom line is this...... If a company is going to place a laser guide on a saw, it needs to serve a significant and genuine purpose and not there to sell the saw on the merits of its mere presence! It (the Ridgid laser) could have been MORE and should have been MEANT TO BE MORE than an approximate reference tool. This device is often touted as being a time saver by supposedly eliminating one of the set up steps while making such cuts. However, *close* only counts in the game of horseshoes and when you are tossing hand grenades.

It is the authors humble but sincere opinion that Ridgids planning department need to redeem themselves abit(I imagine that this will p-off some folks out there, although it is NOT meant to)by developing a disc laser guide THAT IS ADJUSTABLE AND CAN BE USED TO REPLACE EXISTING EXACTLINE GUIDES on the current MS1290LZ.

Im not one of those first post complainers (trolls?) that show up from time to time. This is really the first time in fifty something postes that I have outwardly spoke my mind re. criticism. By the way, I do have an MS1290LZ and the lack of accuracy in the laser guide bugs me somewhat. I can live with the bit of side to side play in the blade when it is in the slide forward position. I realize that I can take the SCMS back within 90 days. However, it would be really comforting if I knew Ridgid was working on improving the accuracy of the laser guide. Will the current laser disc be modified / improved?

Just my two dimes and a nickle!

Chris
                Chris Berg

Comment

Yes, I am very disappointed as well with the non-adjustable laser. I ended up spending $100 extra more on this saw, compared to the other that I was considering just because of the laser feature.

I'd return it, but unfortunately by the time I got around to using for the first time it had been too long.

For the most part the laser function is useless. There are other saws available that actually puts the line in the correct place. I'd suggest to anyone to purchase one of those. Somewhat sours me on purchasing anything from Ridgid in the future, which is unfortunate because it is a good product other than this.

However you pay a premium for an advertised feature, and when it doesn't work you feel taken.

Steve...

Comment

Well, it probably won't make anyone feel any better, but if anyone remembers, Porter Cable came out with a laser guide on their CMS, many years ago----it was the one we all saw Norm use, but the actual fact was that PC took that CMS off the market because their laser wouldn't stay aligned. Don't know why anyone would make one you couldn't align.

There have been some aftermarket ones, but one model, a friend of mine bought for over $100, required that the blade be spinning in order to work-----personally, I didn't find that a great idea----but, don't think that one worked very well either, because I asked him about it and all he answers is a grumbling---"OK, I guess."

Has anyone found any magazine reviews covering the new lasers from Ridgid or PC? Would be curious as to how good the PC was. Doubt I could justify getting rid of my less than 2 year old DeWalt, but the idea is sure appealing.
                    Dave

Comment

One of the current magazines ran a comparison on non-slider 12” CMS’s and the rated the Delta and PC Laser models the best. It did not appear to be a real comprehensive test, just explained the virtues of CMS’s and who they judged as the best.

Woodslayer

Comment

Here's the laser http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=119-807 daveferg mentioned. It looks like the item OWT is using and marketing as "Exactline" on the Ridgid and Ryobi miter saws. But hurry, there are only 460 left at $53.99 each.
                        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

OOOOOOOH, is my friend going to be PO'ed----that looks like what he bought----at half the price-----may tell you something about how well they're selling.
                          Dave

Comment

It also is the same one that Craftsman has had on their LaserTrac miter saws for over two years. The Sears one sells for somewhere in the $60 range.

Comment

Re: Adjusting exactline laser

laser is adjustable bottom of page 35 to adjust thr laser guide

hopefully this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X