SIMPLE QUESTION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIMPLE QUESTION

Why does everyone want 1/2" drills? I just read another post where someone got a 3/8" drill and wants to change the chuck to 1/2". I do all types of work, from simple woodworking to my proffesion as an industrial mechanic. I have a large 1/2" corded drill, and a 1/2" corded hammer drill. when needed they are handy and do the job, but I don't use them very often. I have an assortment of 3/8" drills that are used daily. 3/8" will handle the smallest bits for pilot holes or real small screws. I have bits up to 2 1/2" with 3/8" shanks (forstner % Spade) and hole saws upt to 3". The only time I need 1/2" drill is for drilling large holes in steel or extra large hole saws.I would estimate my usage as at least 200-1 3/8" over 1/2".
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

It's all Tim Allens fault! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

actualy, the reson is a while ago i was mounting a 100 pound vise to a table and the bolts i was usin wer huge. i worked for the cable company at the time, and used these realy huge bits about an inch and a half in diamater and 2 feet long to drill poles and there half inch. so i was guna use 1 to drill the holes in the table but i couldent cuz the drill chuck wasnt big enough, so i had to use the gas powerd tanaka drill to drill it, that has a 1/2 inch on it.

Comment

PapaDan,

See, there are reallly two very good answers! You need it because you can then use really huge bolts. First because all of us really "serious" tool guys have to have the biggest we can get...it's that "more power" thingy. Also, why use little 1/4-inch bolts to mount that 100-lb vise when there may come a day when I have use it to hold an I-beam or maybe hang my Humvee from it. So really big mounting bolts are essential.

Gee Dan, such a question you ask when you know the answer is as plain as the nose on your face!!

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

CWS

Comment

My point is, you will use a 3/8" more often than a 1/2" A 3/8 is not designed for a bigger chuck and larger bits, the drill will still have the power of a 3/8 and will not hold up to constant use as a 1/2" drill. Change the chuck, drill a bunch of bigger holes, then come back here and ***** about the drill not holding up.LOL
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I know what you mean (and did get your point). I don't really understand the thinking behind "upgrading" a drill to a bigger chuck. Makes little sense to me either. If a guy needs to have a bigger chuck, then in all likelyhood, he really needs to have a bigger drill.

I suppose this, in a way, goes with the same thinking behind dropping a bigger engine into a vehicle... without taking into account the transmission, differential, suspension and brakes. But hey, I on rare occasion will question my own motives with "What in the he!! was I thinking?" Good for the soul I guess.

CWS

[ 12-26-2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

I agree the proper tool for the job is essential. I could use my 1" ratchet and three reducers when installing 1/4 inch nuts on stove bolts but it doesnt make sense to. Then again I would never use a 6 cylinder gas engine to pull a car hauler across a mountain range.

In regards to the chuck issue; Most of my drilling needs require bits with a 1/2 inch shank. So using a drill with that chuck makes sense as it will still allow the use of smaller bits. Of course I have about ten different drills so...

And yes there is always that guy thing about bigger being better.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
              X