X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness Planer problem

I hope that there is someone out there who can help me. I am trying to change the blades on my planer and am having a terrible time.

It seems that during the manufacturing of this planer whoever tightened the bolts holding the knives must have been using an air wrench as these bolts WILL not loosen. After trying to loosen them with the included 8mm wrench I noticed that the edges of the bolt heads were rounding off. I called the RIDGID help line and their response was to try digging at them with a pair of vise-grips. Well, I happened to have a pair of narrow nosed vise-grips and went at it. The bolts used to hold the knives are so soft, that the vise-grips are rounding the heads even further. I have soaked them with liquid wrench (I hated to do that since I dont want any of it to get on my wood) and still nothing. I went to home depot where I bought it and the only option they gave me was to have them send it back for repair. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of a paying job and cant be without my planer for more than a day.

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks

Find a Snap-on tool truck in your area and buy the 8mm allen wrench or socket from them. They work very well over what was supplied with your TP. Best way to find Snap-on is stop by any auto dealers and ask the mechanics his phone number or when he's due in.

Comment

Are you sure that your're turning the bolts the right way - it can be kind of confusing? To remove the blades the bolts need to be turned left to right (looking from the back of the planer).

Comment

Working...
      X