No announcement yet.

Ridgid X2 18V Brushes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid X2 18V Brushes

Hi All,

I purchased the Ridgid R84015 18V cordless drill yesterday and it doesn't seem, from the parts breakdown, that the motor brushes are replaceable. The Bosch I was also considering had replaceable brushes, as did the Makita.

The reason I ask is that I've serviced industrial DC motors for several years and the brushes tend to be replaced a few times in the life of the motor. Also, the motor sparks quite severely during braking (which the manual states as normal) and I would think this would cause increased brush wear.

I am considering returning the X2 and getting the Bosch just based on this. Has anyone ever needed to replace the motor brushes on their DC power tools? The Ridgid seem like a quality drill other than this but I'd hate to have to shelve it for a few dollars worth of brushes. All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

I have been using 18 volt cordless tools everday for over six years and have never had to replace any brushes. I've replaced several keyless chucks over the years though.