Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EB4424 Sanding Belt Problem???

Hello,

I just purchased a Ridged Oscillating Belt Sander (EB4424) and with it, I purchased some addition finer grit sanding belts. The HD that I purchased the sander from didn't carry Ridge brand sanding belts or sleeves, so the brand of the belt is whatever HD happened to have.

Anyway, I immediately noticed that the belt that came with the sander was very flexible and seemed to be somewhat thinner in comparison to the other brand of belt.

I put one of these finer belts on the sander, adjusted the tracking and began to sand with it. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't seem to stay tracking properly. I also noticed that the belt seems to be a little looser than than the Ridged belt and it actually rubs against the aluminum table. I replaced the belt with the original, and the probelm went away.

Here's my question... Should I be buying a different type/brand of belt, or is there a problem with the sander? Is it because of the stiffness of this belt? Will it "break-in"? Id there a way to increase the tension on the belt?

Whay brand of belt do you use?

Thanks in advance,
    toomanysplinters

I would say that if the problem goes away when you reinstall the factory supplied paper then the problem lies with the aftermarket paper you bought and not the sander. I'd try another brand of paper and see if that makes a difference. If the second brand of paper produces the same results as the first one did, return the sander.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think I may have found my problem.

After playing with the aftermarket belts a little more, I noticed that the idler drum would gradually ride up and start rubbing on the top support arm. I took the belt mechanism off the sander and looked a little closer at the idler assembly and I noticed that the top washer was missing. This allowed the edge of the drum to rub against the arm causing the noise I was hearing.

I e-mail customer service and they gladly placed a replacement washer in the mail. Thanks guys!

Now hopefully this was also the cause of my tracking problem.

Comment

I just wanted to give anyone who is interested an update on my belt tracking problem.

I recieved the washer and installed it, and the problem disappeared.

Comment

Glad to hear that your problem was taken care of with a happy ending. I sure hope it didn't take two months for you to receive that washer though.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

No, they sent me replacement washers within 10 days, and I installed them shortly afterwards.

I was just reading some other posts and decided to post an update for anyone who's interested.

Comment

Working...
            X