X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" miter saw noise

Hello, I bought a 12" Rigid mitre saw last year. It's been used for a few projects, but not heavy use, and no abuse. Just recently the motor started making a horrible loud noise when started, but then it sounds ok when running. The blade feels tight, and there is no slop in in the bearings, and feels ok when hand turned. Any ideas?

Thanks

I have the 12" slide mitre and it was running ok for about the first 2-3 months, then it started to squeal loudly when first turned on but it still seems to be running ok. I have been using it for several months since the noise developed. What I believe is happening is when the saw stops and the brake grabs it sticks the next time you go to start the saw. I am not positive but believe it is the break system I do not know if it will hurt anything but believe it would be a good idea to have it looked at.

Comment

Mark, first of all, welcome to the group.

I had a similiar thing happen to me once with my CMS. The saw developed a grinding type noise on start-up and shut-down. The cause of my noise turned out to be operator error related. What happened was I failed to properly mount the blade back onto the saw after I had taken it off to clean it. The blade felt like it was mounted properly but it wasn't. I never quite figured out exactly what it was that I had done to install it improperly but once I removed the blade again and reinstalled it, the noise whent away and has never come back. HTH.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll investigate the brake possibility, and remount the blade to see if that helps.

Mark

Comment

Thanks - Turns out that removing the blade and remounting it solved the problem. I didn't think that would help since I hadn't changed the blade before the noise started. The blade did slip before the noise started. I retightened the screw and it must have been after that the noise started. Examination of the flange washer showed a little galling. I smoothed that out with some 400 wet-n-dry, remounted the blade, and that fixed it!

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X