X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor question

I just bought an air compressor. My thought was when you have the usage pressure set to 60psi (for example) the air compressor should stop filling itself with air around 70 or 80 maybe, and once it gets near 60 it should automatically start filling up again. My compressor doesn't stop filling up at all. I must turn it off to stop it and then turn it back on once the pressure is down. That is kind of a pain in the neck. To all you who know generally how it works, can you tell me if this theory is correct? The comp I bought is a Paslode package with a nailer and a stapler. I look forward to hearing any thoughts on this matter.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Yes, if it's brand new, take it back. Your manual should tell you the max and min' pressures and how the switch works. It's nothing to mess with.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
      Yes, if it's brand new, take it back. Your manual should tell you the max and min' pressures and how the switch works. It's nothing to mess with.
      Thanks to the both of you. Paslode told me the same thing.

Comment

My Campbell Hausfeld compressor is rated for 125 PSI. Everytime it charges it brings the pressure in the tank up to 125 PSI. The compressor comes on when the pressure in the tank goes down to 95 PSI. The usage pressure setting has nothing to do with when the compressor recharges other than the higher the setting the faster the unit will need recharging. If you compressor isn't recharging at all then I agree that you probably have a bad pressure switch.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
          My Campbell Hausfeld compressor is rated for 125 PSI. Everytime it charges it brings the pressure in the tank up to 125 PSI. The compressor comes on when the pressure in the tank goes down to 95 PSI. The usage pressure setting has nothing to do with when the compressor recharges other than the higher the setting the faster the unit will need recharging. If you compressor isn't recharging at all then I agree that you probably have a bad pressure switch.
          I must say I hate returning things, it is just a waste of time. I will take your advice and let this babe fill up until it explodes....or perhaps until about 130 psi. Thanks

Comment

I bought a new air compressor at HD. It has a max pressure of 125. It, too, recharges when the pressure drops to 95 psi whether I have the output pressure set for 25 psi when winterizing my RV or 100 psi when using my nail gun.

Comment

I believe that it's law that they have a dump/safety valve that will keep it from blowing up...so Let it run and if you hear air coming out of the valve unplug it remove the air from the tank and take it back....Going up to 125 and shutting off and they starting at 80-90 is what it is designed to do... No mater what you have the outlet pressure set at...

Comment

Originally posted by rrmcbride:
                I believe that it's law that they have a dump/safety valve that will keep it from blowing up...so Let it run and if you hear air coming out of the valve unplug it remove the air from the tank and take it back....Going up to 125 and shutting off and they starting at 80-90 is what it is designed to do... No mater what you have the outlet pressure set at...
                GREAT ADVICE. THANKS A BUNCH!

Comment

1. The guys are right: cut-out pressure (around 125-135 psig) is unrelated to regulator setting.

2. If your compressor doesn't cut out, there are two possibilities. One is that the pressure rises to the cut-out pressure and the pressure switch doesn't cut off power to the motor. If this happens, the steam valve will blow and you'll know it.

3. Second possibility is that the compressor keeps running but never builds up to cut-out pressure, though it may well get above regulator setting (so you can get your job done). First thing to check is the dump cock on the bottom of the tank. This is there so that you can blow off the tank pressure and drain the water from the tank (which I do after every use; internal rusting is the major cause of compressor failure). If this cock isn't fully closed, you will get your reported symptom: continuous run without overpressure. If the drain cock is fully closed, then the rings on the piston are probably bad, and the compressor should be returned.

Comment

Working...
                  X