X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Adjustment on R83001

Hello. This is my first post on the RIDGID forum. I'm MorePowerMatt from the Woodworking forum and the Ryobi forum.

I recently purchased a RIDGID R83001 14.4V cordless drill motor. I was first blown away by the feel, balance, build quality, and boat-load of torque this tool has.

Anyway, I was using it for a driving application. I wanted to try a different torque setting on the 24-position clutch. I found that I couldn't get the dial past position 18. After wrenching it with my hands (which develop more torque than most 3/8" drill motors), I was ready to give up and use the 90-satisfaction deal to get another one. Then, I tried removing the bit. Now, lo and behold, the clutch adjustment worked. I now could turn easily to the first 23 positions, and I had to coax it into the "DRILL WITHOUT TORQUE LIMITER" position.

What's going on? Is it as simple as the clutch adjustment mechanism wasn't lubricated during assembly and needed broken in? Is this a fluke that only happens when nobody's around to believe you?

Once this issue is addressed and resolved, I thjink this drill will be everything I've ever wanted in a cordless drill.

Oh, other than this issue, I'm happy with my RIDGID tools thus far. I have purchased this drill, the sabre (jig) saw, the 5" random orbital sander, and finally, I came home with the 14" bandsaw. (Can't wait to put that sucker together. )

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Welcome to the forum MorePowerMatt...

You are just 2 hours down the road from me...

It is nice to see there is at least a couple woodworkers here in Nebraska...

Don't need a jointer do you??? If so let me know... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I'm new to Nebraska. I'm enjoying it here so far.

No, I don't need a jointer right yet. If you can give me some advice about this clutch, though, that would really help matters.

My shop is slowly but surely coming together. I can hardly wait to start cranking out furniture.

Comment

Matt,
        Sorry I didn't take a stab at your question but, it's because I run a Milwaukee 18volt cordless hammer drill and not a Ridgid... I haven't had a chance to even put a Ridgid in my hand yet... Thinking about the principle of the clutch thou; I would expect it to be much more difficult when trying to dial your drill near the 23rd setting... The clutch packs are forcing closer together so they wont slip at the desired torque settings... It does seem a little premature for it to load up at setting 18 but I would rather it be tight than loose... It seems a little peculiar that you are able to freely adjust the setting once the drill chuck is free... I don't believe the chuck really has any correlation to the clutch pack, but I may be all wet... My Milwaukee gets very stiff when it nears the drill setting... I would run the new Ridgid for a while and see if it loosens up a bit before exchanging... I'm sure it probably just needs a little breaking in... There is allot happening under the case of a cordless drill and tight tolerances to make everything function right... You might try triggering the drill one way or another while adjusting the torque to see if this makes any difference or not... Hope this helps... Let us know...
        Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Working...
        X