X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid jointer/planer: V-belt?

I'm looking at buying a jointer and planer soon, and I noticed in a Ridgid jointer review that it seems to have a V-belt. Is this the case? Does the Ridgid planer have the same belt? I'm not familiar with the guts of the planer at all, so if it doesn't have a belt don't laugh too hard. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I ask because any tool I buy will spend long periods of time idle, and I've read that V-belts can get set and cause vibration in use if they sit for too long. Is this an issue with these tools?
    -- <br />Often wrong, never in doubt.

Just wondering if anybody can comment on the belts for these tools. Thanks!

Comment

You can change any V belt to a link belt They will not hold a memory like regular V belts. I have changed most of my V belts to the link belt and they run much smoother. You can get them at any woodworking supply, they run about $5.00a foot and you can make any size you what. Here is ahttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=892 link to Woodcraft with the belt.

Scott

Comment

Harbor Freight has a 5' length of ½" link belt for $19.99. Part number is 43771.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I had heard of the link belts but hadn't checked into them much. I'll plan on upgrading to those.

Any idea why they don't come as standard equipment if the price is so reasonable?

Comment

The original belts that come on most equipment probably cost far less than the Link belt.

Comment

Working...
            X