X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Technique

Not about woodworking but about stone. I have a dremel 580 table saw that takes a 4" blade 1/2" arbor. I also have an adapter which will allow me to use 7/8" arbor blades, Thank you my friend.

Anyway the thing this will be used for the most is cutting rock. More specifically Novaculite. Novaculite is a sedimentary rock that comes in various weight's, grit's, etc. They range from extremely soft to extremely hard.

I picked up a nice continuous rim diamond dry cut blade from sears, the eurocut which i believe is made by olympic tools. It cuts the softer material like a hot knife through butter. When it comes to the harder stuff, it is not as effective. I get lots of sparks, the stones chip or crack, etc.

Is it possible that the RPM's are too high? If that is the case I was thinking of building a simple electric box with an outlet ran off a dimmer switch to control the speed of the blade. The saw only goes approx 9800 RPM. Or do I need to explore other blade options? I was looking at the segmented dry cut? Are these more suited for harder material?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I have cut granite with a diamond blade on a Stihl quick cut. I think the segments are more to relieve stress in the blade than effect how the blade cuts. I dont think speed is your problem as the SFPM at the edge of the quick cut blade is several times faster than your saw. I think heat may be your problem. Even though you have a dry diamond blade you may need water to help carry away the heat on the harder stones. You are not really cutting the stone, you are really wearing a slot in it. Slower feed or adding water may be the fix

Comment

THE RPM IS OK. AS THIS IS A SMALL DIAMETER BLADE. A TURBO STYLE OR SEGMENT BLADE WILL WORK BETTER. THE REAL ISSUE IS THE LACK OF WATER. YOU NEED A WET SAW TO GET ANY KIND OF DECENT RESULTS ON THE HARD STUFF. ALSO THE BLADE WILL LAST LONGER AND NO DUST. THINK YOUR LITTLE DREMEL WILL LIKE IT TOO.
      LOOK AT HD. YOU CAN BUY A LESS EXPENSIVE 4.5'' OR 7'' TABLE TOP WET SAW FOR APPROX. $100. NOTHING FOR HEAVY DUTY USE , BUT BETTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE NOW.
      SPACE DON'T YOU HAVE A MORE PRESSING PROJECT WITH YOUR THUMPING WATER PIPE? NO TIME TO PLAY.
      RICK.

Comment

Rick

actually i have a more pressing project with my back surgery monday!

EVERYTHING else can wait
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
        X