18v Hammer Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Hammer Drill

I purchased the Ridgid 18v hammer drill during the 20% off sale at HD before Christmas. I drilled a few holes and noticed that there was some wobble. I rechucked several times and continued to get the same wobble, I thought the bit could be bent so I checked several other bits.
    All the bits I checked wobbled so I placed them in my drill press and found them to be true.

I returned the drill to HD and they replaced it, no questions. I charged the new unit and checked it getting the same wobble and bit walking as with the first drill. Today I carried it back to HD with intentions of swapping for a Milwaukee but the salesman convinced me to try one more unit so as to keep my confidence in Ridgid.

I unpacked the new drill and chucked a bit that I know is true. The drill wobbles the same as the first 2. I am an experienced woodworker with many drills in my past and have never had this experience. The chuck does not turn true and the longer the bit used the more wobble. On hard surfaces the wobble is so severe that the bit walks dramatically.

I think that Ridgid has a major design flaw with these drills and want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem ?

pretty sad considering I have a very old 7.2 volt Makita that I've beaten up and killed a few batteries on that still has a good chuck.

Jake

Comment

woodworkerjake,
      Yeah, I have a 12 year old Dewalt that I can't seem to wear out. Maybe I should go to a dewalt hammerdrill. I also have a 14 year old 9.6v Hitachi that needs a battery but still runs very smooth

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabee:
        I purchased the Ridgid 18v hammer drill during the 20% off sale at HD before Christmas. I drilled a few holes and noticed that there was some wobble. I rechucked several times and continued to get the same wobble, I thought the bit could be bent so I checked several other bits.
        All the bits I checked wobbled so I placed them in my drill press and found them to be true.

I returned the drill to HD and they replaced it, no questions. I charged the new unit and checked it getting the same wobble and bit walking as with the first drill. Today I carried it back to HD with intentions of swapping for a Milwaukee but the salesman convinced me to try one more unit so as to keep my confidence in Ridgid.

I unpacked the new drill and chucked a bit that I know is true. The drill wobbles the same as the first 2. I am an experienced woodworker with many drills in my past and have never had this experience. The chuck does not turn true and the longer the bit used the more wobble. On hard surfaces the wobble is so severe that the bit walks dramatically.

I think that Ridgid has a major design flaw with these drills and want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem ?

Comment

The 1/2" X2 I got with my 3 piece set, and I noticed that the chuck had a slight wobble in it. I took it back to HD and after I showed the problem to them, they got another and had me check it before I left the store.

The chuck on this one is completely true, at least to my eyes.

Sure hope it's not a trend.

Comment

Is it the chuck itself that is off center or is it the drill output shaft?

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for keeping us up to date on experiences.

Jake

Comment

Andrew,
                I don't know whether it is the chuck or output shaft, I did not remove the chuck because I knew that I was going to take it back and I did not want any marring to possibly interfer with the return. I've decided to return the third drill today and this time I will get the Dewalt or Milwaukee. I hope they will honor the 20% discount or I will do business with Lowes from now on.
                JIm

Comment

Couldn't tell if it was the chuck or shaft, although the wobble was apparent both from the front and back of the chuck.

Comment

The second X2 drill I had had the same problem with the chuck. I took it back and got the Milwauk. The first X2 I had did not have any problems with the chuck, but the motor fried.
                    Vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

I have just replaced my first hammer drill with a new exchange which also wobbles...however when rechucking the bit it runs true, then rechuck again wobbles...what is the deal? I an hestitant, because of potentially voiding warranty, to remove the chuck and try to tighten as the manual says...any suggestions? I also emailed Ridgid with the problem two weeks ago and have not heard back...AARGH!!!

Comment

Log Dog
                        I took my third one back and recieved that cash.
                        I'll wait for the next sale and get a Milwaukee.
                        I have professional friends that like the milwaukee and would not buy anything Ridgid.
                        Jim

Comment

I love my ridgid.

It works perfect for me.

It must be karma.

Comment

Mine works great.

When I first got it I over analyzed the thing.
                            Turns out the only problem with it 4 months later is it snaps low quality drill bits, broke a tooth off a #3 phillips bit, will split 2 by 4's. A friend of mine was laughing his ___ off when I Snapped that #3 bit. Its got too much torque. Don't mess with that circular saw either that things a beast.

Comment

Working...
                            X