X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pancake compressor

I purchased a porter cable 18" brad gun, hose and compressor for just over 100.00

hardly looks used.

once i used it to make sure it worked took about 2 minute or so. second time i use it to work on a project, it was used for about 30 minutes or so. once done i did what the manual says and released the water from the tank and it was BLACK. is there any cause for alarm here or is this normal? The gentlemen i bought it from treated all of his tools like a baby so i will assume it is ok? if it is a problem how do i resolve it?

thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Sounds like a little rust and dirt. I don't think you have anything to worry about
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I have the same unit and never got anything but clear or slightly milky colored liquid. Don't think rust would look black----I'd wonder if a lubricating seal was broken on the compressor. You could call PC and ask.
      Dave

Comment

I'm just wondering where you use 18 inch brads!
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

On 2ga wood. Just funnin with ya spaceblue not atcya. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a little Craftsman pancake that just will not die no matter how bad I abuse it. If I neglect to drain the tank for a year or so I get some pretty nasty gunk out of it, albeit more rust colored than black.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer,

I think I'd try to remember to drain the tank a little more than once every year or so, otherwise you might be surprised when the thing "abuses" you back with a nasty tank separation! Sometimes, these things will just spring a pin-hole leak because of corrosion, but sometimes NOT!... and I wouldn't want to be near when that happened.

CWS

Comment

Sounds to me like the rings have not been set.

Your book should have said that, for first run, open the drain valve (so pressure won't build up in the tank and the cut-out will not cut out) and run the compressor for 15 minutes or so. This will seat the piston rings. Now close the tank drain valve and throw the switch again; compressor should function as normal; and drain should be pretty clear.

Comment

18" brads. WOW sorry folks. thanks for the laugh.
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                  X