X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THICKNESS PLANER QUESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS

Well after some long thoughts, i have decided that the next tool i buy is going to be the thickness planer. I had a woodworking magazine around here that rated them but it seems to have up and vanished.

Need to settle on the brand and the style. The reason this is going to be my next tool is that as some of you know i had a silver maple cut down out of my back yard and took some 6' pieces of the trunk to a semi local saw mill, a retired gentlemen who mills wood, makes firewood, shavings for horses, etc. Anyway since it is just a hobby for him his prices are great. I can get kiln dried oak for .60 cents a board foot and the more exotic woods (cherry, walnut, etc) for 1.50 to 2.00 a board foot. I am hooked up with a couple of tree services in the area that if they are cutting a tree down in a reasonable radius of where I live, as long as i can make it to the site prior to it being turned into mulch i can load up the logs and take them away. so this next summer I will be doing a lot with rough sawn woods and hard woods at that. That is the rationale behind the thickness planer being next. it was between that and the drill press.

So here is my dilema....

Tool crib has a dewalt 13" 2 speed for 4.99 less 25 bucks. most 2 speeds run in this price range. now the single speed 12" on average run about 100.00 less give or take. I have the TS 3612 and JP 6010 so i wont be doing anything wider than 6". The dilema is that it will end up seeing a lot of use and will likely have a lot of the hard/semi hard woods passed through it. so what direction would you guys go? I enjoy working with oak, I have an old pool table that was given to me last year, the slate is in perfect shape, but the frame was a piece of junk. beat up and such. Among other projects i plan to build a new pool table out of walnut and/or cherry contrast. will likely use oak for all of the inside stuff you wont see because it is cheaper than the walnut/cherry.

Will a standard TP like the ridgid, delta, etc 12" hold up or am i better off with going with the two speed 13" little more powerful one? I know that there will be a lot of blade replacement with hardwoods, already prepared for that!

Hell tool crib has a "WILTON" for less than 200 bucks. I think that might be pushing it a bit. so i am looking for recomendations from those that have thickness planers and do a lot of the harder woods. if you bought the single speed 300 dollar range model, does it get the job done or do you wish you would have dropped the extra hundred and gone with the 13" 2 speed?

brand is not as important to me on this one. If i remember that article correctly Grizzly was rated among one of the best?

Ok enough rambling....you guys know what i am asking. thanks in advance for the advice/recommendations

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Space

I’ve had the Ridgid for almost three years now and it has performed flawlessly, but if I were purchasing today I would have to give the Delta 22-580 2-speed some serious consideration, $295 delivered to your door from Amazon.

Woodslayer

Comment

Ed, I have run 1000's of feet of pine, oak and cherry through my delta 12.5" and it still performs well but it is slow. Today I would settle for nothing less than a 2HP 15" planer and will go that or bigger when the delta dies. If you can scrape together a few more $ i would suggest an induction motor planer for the work you are planing. IF not the 2 speed with ear plugs will get you buy for a few years

Comment

Space,

Dito to Wbrooks, get an induction motor planer; especially if you are going to be using rough cut hardwoods.

Portable/Benchtop planers are not designed with rough cut in mind. Most are expecting S2S or better.

With this in mind and from my experiance using rough random wood, The only negative I have with the TP1300 is that if the cutter head/motor assembly does not raise/lower parallel to the infeed table, then it is difficult (if not impossible) to correct without taking it to a repair shop.

As a comment on the cost of operation, the TP1300 gets expensive with blades ($30 on average) unless you have a reliable sharpening company near and are good with setting up blade heights.

If you are willing to do some real research, you can find some older, industrial planers that are fantastic. Check out Votec schools, old shops/mills, and scour the net.

Comment

I think the Delta 22-580 is still available from Amazon for $295 delivered. That's one of the better bargains IMO. The $200 machines come with no cutterhead lock....that's a more important feature to me than the two speeds, but I do like that feature too. To stay under $300, the Delta TS400 and Ryobi AP1300 come to mind ...

Comment

Santa brought the Dewalt DW734........

can't wait until the spring when chicago's weather will permit it's use in the garage!
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
            X