X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS1000 Radial Arm Saw Table top and fence

I recently moved and the movers lost my table top and fence for my RS1000. I would like to cut replacements but do not have the measurements of the rip fence, front, spacer and front table. Is there someone that could post or send these. Thanks
    Gerry

Gyme2

You could just order a new table and spacer from Ridgid; the fence is just a 2 x 3 cut to the correct length.

I don't have that particular RAS, but I do have a Craftsman 1973 RAS which was made by Emerson (Ridgid's parent company). My table was damaged and two years I ordered a new table and spacer and got it in about two weeks.

I was simply going to make it, but I noticed the old table had a routed space to allow the elevation crank to turn. I didn't have a router at the time, so decided to just order it. As I recall, the cost was about $60.

CWS

Comment

Re: RS1000 Radial Arm Saw Table top and fence

Originally posted by imported_CWSmith View Post
      Gyme2

You could just order a new table and spacer from Ridgid; the fence is just a 2 x 3 cut to the correct length.

I don't have that particular RAS, but I do have a Craftsman 1973 RAS which was made by Emerson (Ridgid's parent company). My table was damaged and two years I ordered a new table and spacer and got it in about two weeks.

I was simply going to make it, but I noticed the old table had a routed space to allow the elevation crank to turn. I didn't have a router at the time, so decided to just order it. As I recall, the cost was about $60.

CWS
      imported_CWSmith, I realize it's been five years since this post, and Ridgid has discontinued manufacturing the front table for the RS1000.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the tables and the measurements of the mounting holes? I have the saw, but not the front table top. It appears the rear table top, the spacer and the rip fence are still available online; however, as I understand, the most critical part from an alignment perspective is the front table, which is no longer in production.

Thanks!
      Last edited by kambot2000; 12-22-2010, 06:59 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I would think that Ridgid tech support should be able to tell you the dimensions of the piece, even if they don't have one to sell.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My Emerson-made Craftsman is quite a bit older than the last series of Ridgid RAS's and I'm sure the mounting holes would have changed. In fact, the table-top that was mentioned above did't line up exactly, even though it was ordered specifically for my model, from Sears.

I'll go take the overall measurements later this evening and post those dimension. Just be aware that you might have to modify to fit whatever design mounting you have on that particular model.

CWS

Comment

My RAS table is made up of three pieces, not counting the fence. All are one-inch (actual) thick chipboard. The depth measurements are as follows:

Top - 19"
            Rear table - 5"
            Spacer (between rear table and fence) - 2"

The fence is simply a piece of 1 x 3 x whatever length required (40" normally)

On my RAS, there is a right-angle rail bolted to both sides of the base. These rails are adjusted fore and aft to be perfectly horizontal to the motor. (Explained in your manual... if you don't have that, I'll go through the step for you.)

There are three drilled hole in the top of each rail and they line up with the mounting holes in the table top. I'm sure my mounting measurements would be different than yours.

So what I would do, is simply set the table on the rails, making sure it is centered left and right and positioned from the back at a distance that would accomodate the back table, spacer, and fence.

And then, I would mark the position of the holes through your particular mounting rails or whatever. Once done, you would drill the holes.

Important - the table top not completely tightened to the rails until you have ensured that the table is squared with the blade travel.

Once the table is properly squared, you then tightly secure it to the mounting rails. The fence is then positioned at the back of the table and the spacer and rear table are used to simply hold the fence to the back of the table.

On my table, there are also two screws near the center. One aligns with a mounting hole in one of the base support channels (running front to back on one side of the elevation shaft). That particular hole receives a bolt that hold the middle of the table down. Near it, is a second hole that receives a T-nut on the underside and from the top side, a matching setscrew.

The purpose of these middle-of-the-table fasterners is to level the table and prevent any sag. The bolt that goes through the hole in the base channel, pulls the table down, while the setscrew is used to jack the table up. You use the setscrew as necessary and the hold-down bolt to lock the position. While the hold-down bolt hole must align with the hole in the base channel, the setscrew must be over the solid portion of the channel in order to act as a "jacking" surface for the setscrew.

Below is an illustration from my manual.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

CWS
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you CWS! I have both right angle rails, I just don't have any of the top pieces to work with. These measurements are exactly what I was looking for!

Since the local HD doesn't stock 1" thick MDF, I'll probably use 3/4" & make a permanent "top", and put an additional sacrificial surface atop that (probably 1/2" MDF for stiffness). I'll post some pics when I'm finished. Merry Christmas!

Comment

Working...
              X