brush questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brush questions?

Hey all just got my 4pc combo kit. Finishing a basement at the moment so I'll put it to work starting today. I like the parts breakdown for the tools but thought the brushes were replacable. They aren't on the parts break dowm. Are the brushes repalceable in these tools or not. If so in all the 18v tools or just the drill drivers? Thanks John also gotta say I love this charger!

I dont think they are replaceable. in all actuallity the brushes do not were that bad they should hold up as long as the motor does. i think in the future they will have replaceable brushes like the other manu.

Comment

reesaber,

I don't see any brush's on the exploded view diagram available on this web site but it is hard to read as there are is no nomenclature,only part numbers.Is your diagram the same?

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/Englis...4001_300_r.pdf

Comment

exusairwaysmech, no my ipb is pretty clear and has item #s with part #s, a description and a quantities. Like with the clutch pins where more than one is needed. I can say so far so good with the tools. They have worked great and I don't find the sawzall heavy or unwieldly. I think a little extra wieght helps me control it better. Haven't had any chuck problems either. I'll cross my fingers but I don't think I'll have any problems. John

Comment

reesaber,

I think that greyghost is scrambling to clarify the issue for you.

Comment

Does this clarify?

Comment

I was just curious. Being a electronics tech maintenance guy of course drew me to the ipb and when I didn'see the brushes I was suprised. I wouldn't waste any time researching this it isn't that important. Brushes in these things should last me a hell of a long time. Thanks all John

Comment

From looking at the drawing and my drill and drawing from pass experience, I would say the only way to replace the brushes is by replacing the motor..

On the other hand the only power tools I have ever had to replace brushes in were sanders....Maybe I don't screw enough?

Comment

From my understanding Ridgid uses Johnson motors and they do not have replaceable brushes but you can replace the Johnson motor very easily and inexpensively. So yeah you can replace the brushes...by replacing the motor

Comment

Bo_hamrick,

Are any other brand names using this Johnson motor?

Also,Is Ridgid using the big,or little Johnson?

Comment

Ryobi on their 'job site'constuction series used to and some DeWalts have had them. As far as I know ,like on the previous Milwalkee cordless, Johnson motors do not have replaceable brushes. I think there is wear from the brake action as well as the running of the tool but I think you are covered by the warranty on the Ridgid. Most newer tools have external replace caps.On the DeWalt, you usually have to take it apart even if they are the replaceable type.Some DeWalt drills such as my 14.4v angle drill is not replaceable for example. A DeWalt tech told me if the handle has a black rubber grip pad then you have a replaceable brush motor.

[ 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

I think alot of companies like DeWalt and Mil use to use the Johnson motors but now both of them make their own motors that have replaceable brushes...but that information I got from the DW and Mil reps themself. So take that with a grain of salt. I assume they would not lie

Comment

Super Dave thanks yes that makes it crystal clear. I only just realized that was a link you provided. Thanks John

Comment

Working...
                          X