X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer wont lock in place.

Just bought 200 ft of oak and was looking forward to starting some new projects especially since i would get to use this great looking ridgid planer i just got a month ago. Well to start with i had trouble with the planer feeding the sawmill lumber, but after researchin here i have concluded to clean and wax the planer and clean the wood. But thats not the big problem, the problem now is when i run a board through i can watch the highth crank going backwards on its own, so i end up makeing like 25 passes to reduce 4/4 stock to 3/4. Would this have anything to do with me pushing the boards through since it hasnt been feeding well, or is it something anyone here has experienced before. Please send input, im getting real frustraighted with my tapered boards. oh by the way im working with 6 inch wide stock and i was making miniscule cuts, im talking less than 1/4 a crank and it was still backing up on its own. thanks

[ 08-17-2005, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Screwjockey ]

Did you lock the cutter head? Lock cutter head assembly in place by pushing the Sure
    Cutâ„¢ to the right.

Comment

I would check the rollers and see if they need cleaned off. If the bed has been waxed and it still doesn't pull the board through check the alignment of the infeed and outfeed tables. (Little screws under tables on the inside corners make the adjustment). My Ridgid planer has done a great job for me on hard maple. I take less than 1/32 per pass, but I have no complaints.
      Measure twice...Cut once..I always forget that one!

Comment

Screwjockey, If you believe there is something wrong with the planer then take it back and get a new one. You have 90 days return policy. Otherwaise Read the manual and learn how to use it properly. I have had my TP1300 for several years and only run hardwoods through it. The only time i take a cut of 1/32 or less is when that is all thats left of a preset size. Oak, Walnut, Maple, PurpleHeart, or Bubinga run through at 1/16 passes and I have never had a single problem.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I would return it but i cant find my reciept anywhere, yes i know how foolish i am to have lost it. And by the way, i am familiar with how a planer works, this isnt an operator error.

[ 08-19-2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Screwjockey ]

Comment

Not sure you need a receipt with lifetime warranty, worth a shot to take it to a repair shop

Comment

The box on the grey ridgid stuff says lifetime warranty. The box does not say you need to do anything, including keep your reciepts, to claim coverage. If anyone has a problem (in california) with this let me know, I have a lawyer who specializes in this.
              Manufactureres get nailed on what the packaging says, or doesn't say, all the time. In California at least you do not have to register to get warranty coverage. In general you need proof of purchase. However, if the box says "lifetime warranty", that's enough, no receipt needed. The grey ridgid stuff said that.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Screwjockey, I'm having the same problem you are with your planer. When I phoned tech services they gave me info that apparently is supposed to be in the owners manual but it was not in the copy I have. Anyway, the owners manual on the Ridgid website for the 13" planer DOES have the instructions for adjusting the cutter head carriage lock (or the Sure-Lok), page 13 I believe, and it is a really simple fix. I do hope you found this info out long before this posting though.

Comment

I was having the same issue and was bummin. Odd that the manual online describes how to adjust it and it is the older version. The new manual that comes with the planer makes no mention of alot of things that are in the online manual. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by doorlady:
                    Screwjockey, I'm having the same problem you are with your planer. When I phoned tech services they gave me info that apparently is supposed to be in the owners manual but it was not in the copy I have. Anyway, the owners manual on the Ridgid website for the 13" planer DOES have the instructions for adjusting the cutter head carriage lock (or the Sure-Lok), page 13 I believe, and it is a really simple fix. I do hope you found this info out long before this posting though.
                    Thank you doorlady, I was having the same problem with my planer, too bad the book does not cover how to solve this issue.
                    Regards
                    Randy

Suggest A Fix PC Support Forums, Wilders Security Forums, Free on line virus Scan, The Parasite Fight
                    ASAP Proud member since 2004 ~ Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
                    Outpost Firewall User's Support Forum

WinMe, OutPost FireWall Pro V2.5 Beta, FireFox 1.0PR, SpyBlocker 8.5/SpywareStopper 7.0, Nod32 AV, Trojan Hunter and alot of other goodies.

Comment

Speaking from experience, dull blades will cause the planner to allow the height mechanism to creep up during cuts even while locked. I have solved the creep problem in the past by simply installing new blades. Perhaps it will work for you.

Woodslayer

Comment

Lock the shure lock halfway , pull the height adjustment wheel off with the allen wrench and pull the shure lock off and replace it at the unlock spot, put the wheel back on and push the shure lock to lock it should not move at all.
                        Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Originally posted by doorlady:

Comment

Working...
                          X