Mitre saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre saw

I am in the market for a new mitre saw. As an experienced woodworker/carpenter, I like the wide range of duties a 12" sliding saw offers and feel the extra price is well worth it if I never have to buy another. Although not in the business, except for frequent side jobs, I have tried "Sears Best" and brought them back. I was looking at the DeWalt, but realized the Ridgid's table was considerablly larger. Now I'm looking at the Bosch 12" slider. The upfront bevel lock, micro adjustment, depth gauge and hold-down clamp seem worth the extra c-note. Any and all suggestions/advise will be much appreciated.

I realize that is's not a 12" but have you looked at the cutting capacities of the 10" Makita LS1013? Its maximum cutting capacities rank right up there with alot of the 12" SCMS's. FIL has one and IMO it's one sweet saw. Another plus is the OEM blade that comes with it produces mirror smooth cuts so there's no need to buy an after market blade. Sorry for sorta hijacking your question but leaving this SCMS off the list of possibles would be a shame considering the amount of money you are about to spend.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I second badger dave on the Makita. I have used many SCMS's and think that it is tops!
      You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I will definitely consider it. I like the idea of getting a "just as good" quality product for LESS money.

Comment

I, too, am considering buying an scms, but it is not in the next week or two, I doubt. After reading reviews and checking out the features, I am not considering anything but the bosch 4410 or 4412. I think they are beatiful saws, with more features than any other saw, and a premium blade included.
          Just a note, if you plan to mount the scms you decide on to the rigid miter saw utility vehicle, as I do, the bosch is the only one I know of where you can easily adjust the table extensions on that table, because of the quick release locks on the extensions. The dewalt dw705s that I have is possible to operate the extension, but difficult.
          A note mentioned by someone else somewhere else, the 10 in. and 12 in. scms can both cut 4x4, but neither can cut a 6x6. May not be much need to spend the extra $160 for the 12 in. 4412.

Comment

Another good SCMS is the Hitachi. It makes super accurate cuts, is lightweight, and has a laser that is dead on right out of the box. The blade that comes with it is good too.

If you already own tools that use a 10" blade then it you should consider staying with a SCMS that has a 10" blade.

Comment

Thanks tyxlc. I think I'm leaning toward the Bosch also. Like the bells and whistles, especially the micro adjust and ease of use of the depth guage. I heard the blade is tops also, eliminating the need for an upgrade that so many of these high dollar saws need. That's $60(12")right there.
              Now the decision is 10 or 12 inch? I hear what your saying about there not being much difference between the two, but I'd hate to find out later that there is a feature on the 12 that I could use. Besides, I figure that if I'm in for a penny.... the extra $150 or so might be the wiser choice. But you can bet I will look closly at both before taking the dive.
              Again, thanks to all and will be looking for more responses before I buy in a week or two.

Comment

Desmo888. Thanks for the sound advise. Although I own a contractors TS, portable TS and a RAS that all use 10" blades, I have never exchanged them with the dinosaw (sic) Makita non-compound mitre saw that I own now. Maybe it's just me, but the mitre blade just stays on the mitre saw. I suppose in an emergant situation i may consider switching, but it hasn't come to that yet. Again, Thanks.

Comment

Ok, I know that no one has mentioned this but I am going to toss out my 2 cents anyway. For those cosidering a SCMS are you wanting it for portability? If so then quite reading now, I won't waste your time. If however you want it for the shop, have you considered a RAS instead. It is a far more usefull tool than even a SCMS. I have a RAS and a CMS. The CMS is for simple quick cuts and obviously to go with me. The RAS gets the majority of the work. It easily handles dados as well as longer cross cuts that a SCMS can't do. Not trying to downplay the usefulness of a SCMS. Just wanted to toss out the idea.

[ 04-16-2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: G.W. ]
                  I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Working...
                  X