Need Help Deciding on a New Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Deciding on a New Drill

I’m considering a new cordless drill. My 5 year old PC 14.4v hammer drill needs some repair and it may cost me $80. A new Rigid with a lifetime warranty is looking pretty good.

I need help deciding which drill to get. My main use will be general woodworking and home repair. I’ve only used the hammer drill function a few times and don’t anticipate needing it much. I am considering a 12v 3/8” drive. Would this suffice or should I get the 14 volt?

Also, what is the X2 series and what does “Drill/Driver” mean?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 9.6V drill/driver that I use for woodworking project and general around the house use. With two batteries I've never run out of power before a job was finished. You're the best judge of how much power and battery charge time you need.

The X2 drill/drivers offer more torque and longer battery run time than the standard models have. They also have 1/2" chucks where the standard models have 3/8"

A drill/driver differs from a drill in that the drill/driver will usually offer at least two speeds, one for driving screws and another for drilling holes. They also usually have an adjustable torque setting feature.

[ 10-29-2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

hilti sf-121A!!

you wont be disappointed
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

What is "hilti sf-121A"?

Comment

That would be a model SF 121A, made by Hilti...

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12199

Dave

Comment

thanks dave! i stated it poorly!

Comment

Made perfect sense to me, Space. But, I've heard of Hilti before, probably helped.

Dave

Comment

Thanks guys. I never heard of Hilti before. I did a search on the net and couldn't find anything on hilti. At least not tools. So I thought it must be a "nick name" or something.

Thanks for the clarification and link.

Looks like a nice drill. How much do they go for?

I'm leaning towards the "Rigid 14.4 X2". The lifetime warranty is hard to pass on.

Comment

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/html/index.html

Do a search for 0616-24.

This is a better drill than the ridgid.

Comment

I love my 14.4 X2. It is up there with my Tiger Saw and my Browning pump 12 ga. as an essential tool, an extension of my will, and an indispensable scepter of home ownership (just for some perspective). I have nothing bad to say about Hilti, but no regrets with the X2. Get one and take it back if you don't like it.

Comment

THE hilti is a little pricy but it is the last drill i will ever have to buy. this thing is awesome.....lots of power, batteries last forever, not to mention well balanced and comfortable to use. take a hard look at it! you will not likely be disapointed!

Comment

Working...
                      X