Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
will compressor rated at scfm of 6.2 feed tool that uses 6scfm? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will compressor rated at scfm of 6.2 feed tool that uses 6scfm?

hi
    I am going to buy a OF45150 4.5 gal oil-less compressor that delivers 6.8 scfm (low side) and up to 7.2 (high side I think) to drive a chipping air bodyh hammer that uses 6scfm. Will the compressor be able to use it.
    I plan to use it for stucco removal (about 1 hr of short bursts of up to 10 seconds about 10 seconds between bursts down to about 2 sec bursts about 5 seconds apart for a total of 1 hr total per job. Will this compressor do it? The sales person said that it was not the scfm rating that qualified it at all but the gallon size of the tanks. I though it was the other way around. This has thrown in a lug wrench into my plans and as soon as I know it is safe to get this compressor I will rush out and get it THEN!
    thanks
    Jeff

masthead, the compressor tank is too small to keep up with a chipping hammer. the hammer needs approx. 90psi to run properly. i think you have your ratings off. the low delivery is generally rated at 40 psi and the high delivery is typically rated at 90 psi. most of the tools that are listed for 6 cfm are at a partial duty cycle. not continuous use. most homeowner compressors are not rated for continuous duty cycles too.
    why not puschase an electric chipping gun for this task. it will be a heavier tool and can be used for other task when the job is done. a decent electric chipper is approx. $300. a compressor and chipper is approx. the same cost.

rick.

Comment

Masthead,

I agree with Plumber Rick about the 45150 compreessor. I just checked the rating and it is 6.2 SCFM @ 90 psi. While it appears that your chipper might run (if you went straight by the numbers), you would definitly find that the compressor would barely keep up with the tool's need of 6.0 scfm @ 90 psi. The small 4.5 gallon tank just isn't going to be large enough for any reserve time and you'd find the compressor running full-time. Things would get darned hot and I have no doubt that your task would not go as planned and your compressor would most likely have a short lifespan.

For such applications, you'd need an air-supply with significant volume output and tank capacity.

CWS

Comment

Most compressor manufactures are extremely gracious with their ratings. Usually you have to go 2-3 times bigger than what's shown to get the capacity you need.

Comment

I used a PC 3151 that has similar capacity to chip up a 8 by 5 bathroom floor. It worked fine however I was very conscious of making sure I allowed the compressor to catch up every so often.

Most people look at SCFM only but that only tells part of the story the other thing is run cycle. As someone said most home compressors are rated for a 50% duty cycle. That means they must rest as much as they run. Thompson does make a continous run cycle compressor with about the same specs that would easily do the job but your talking bucks.

If your going to do this as a regular thing a larger compressor and tank is called for however it will be so large it will have to be permanently mounted and hose ran to the job. Also air chisles vent air and this stirs up a lot of dust that you have to try to control.

As someone else suggested I would look at bosch rotary hammers. They have one where the chisel never turns. I also had to tear up some floor to lay new pipe and I got an electric jack hammer. But when the plumber came he wanted to do some touch up work and got his Bosch rotary hammer out. I was really impressed with it. You can get an electric hammer far cheaper than the compressor and air chisel and it will work long and hard for you.
          Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
          X