X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor and guns

Hello all. I am new to this form and I've been doing lots of reading. I just love this stuff.

I am looking for an air compressor with a few guns. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I need a finishing nailer for 1-2" nails, and a nailer for driving decking nails.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Personally I've got 3 different brand guns. 1 16 ga. Craftsman finish nailer, it will shoot up to 2 1/2" lg. nails, a no name 18 ga brad nailer, and a dewalt framing gun, the new model as I understand it. I bought the Dewalt because I got it new for 200 bucks, I couldn't touch any of the other brands I was looking at for that kind of money. Also it is a very nice to use gun. If I didn't get the good price on the Dewalt I liked the Paslode next.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC:
      Personally I've got 3 different brand guns. 1 16 ga. Craftsman finish nailer, it will shoot up to 2 1/2" lg. nails, a no name 18 ga brad nailer, and a dewalt framing gun, the new model as I understand it. I bought the Dewalt because I got it new for 200 bucks, I couldn't touch any of the other brands I was looking at for that kind of money. Also it is a very nice to use gun. If I didn't get the good price on the Dewalt I liked the Paslode next.
      What do you think of the Craftsman? $ vs quality?

Comment

I'm thrilled with it, my Craftsman gun is a min. of 6 yrs old. Last year I did a bit of volunteer stuff, running untold lengths of baseboard and door trim, it never missed a beat. I actually can't ever recall the misfiring. So for what I've put it thru and what I plan on doing with it I've been very pleased.

Comment

I'm thrilled with it, my Craftsman gun is a min. of 6 yrs old. Last year I did a bit of volunteer stuff, running untold lengths of baseboard and door trim, it never missed a beat. I actually can't ever recall the misfiring. So for what I've put it thru and what I plan on doing with it I've been very pleased.
          Can you tell me what model it is? I hear it is better getting the 16ge guns instead of the cheaper 18ge ones.
          Thanks

Comment

Yes I'll let you know as soon as I can, Dad borrowed it to hang some crown moulding at his place. I like the 16 ga. for the longer nails. I bought the 18 ga. brad gun for the lighter/smaller stuff.

Comment

If your intentions are to just run nail guns with your compressor, then just about any compressor with at least a 2hp motor and a 4 gal or larger tank would take care of your needs. The oilless models tend to be a little louder than the oil lubricated models, although, I have a Campbell Hausfeld WL5043 oilless unit that is very quiet.

As far as the guns go, short of framing and roofing, an 18 guage brad nailer and a 15 guage angled finish nailer should just about handle any around the house job you'd run into. If your use will not be everyday use then I would check into some refurbished nailers. Sometimes, not always, these can be had at really reduced prices. As an example, I bought a refurbished Porter-Cable DA250B 15ga angled finish nailer for $103 delivered. Thats almost a 50% savings off of the HD price for NIB unit. As far as an 18 guage nailer goes, Harbor Freight models can be had for almost next to nothing and for an occasional user aren't that bad of a gun.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
                If your intentions are to just run nail guns with your compressor, then just about any compressor with at least a 2hp motor and a 4 gal or larger tank would take care of your needs. The oilless models tend to be a little louder than the oil lubricated models, although, I have a Campbell Hausfeld WL5043 oilless unit that is very quiet.

As far as the guns go, short of framing and roofing, an 18 guage brad nailer and a 15 guage angled finish nailer should just about handle any around the house job you'd run into. If your use will not be everyday use then I would check into some refurbished nailers. Sometimes, not always, these can be had at really reduced prices. As an example, I bought a refurbished Porter-Cable DA250B 15ga angled finish nailer for $103 delivered. Thats almost a 50% savings off of the HD price for NIB unit. As far as an 18 guage nailer goes, Harbor Freight models can be had for almost next to nothing and for an occasional user aren't that bad of a gun.
                Thanks for the info. I intend to by buying an air compressor for a brad nailer and a framing nailer for now. In a year or two I may want to buy spray guns for finishing. Would a Campbell Hausfeld work for all of the above?

Comment

It finally dawned on me, I don't need the gun on hand to get the model no., I have the owners manual. So here is the info: Craftsman model # 351.183210, 16 ga. finish nailer, 3/4"-2 1/2" length nails.I looked at the Sears Craftsman web site and they have, what might be the new version of my gun on sale for $159 dollars thru tomorrow, it is Sears item # 00918175000. Now about the compressor I have an oil-less unit from Craftsman, its a 2 hp, with a 10 gal tank(I believe). I do have an aux. tank I can hook up in line for those bigger air jobs. But that has so far been enough compressor for all I've done, finish nailer, framing nailer, and paint gun.

Comment

It finally dawned on me, I don't need the gun on hand to get the model no., I have the owners manual. So here is the info: Craftsman model # 351.183210, 16 ga. finish nailer, 3/4"-2 1/2" length nails.I looked at the Sears Craftsman web site and they have, what might be the new version of my gun on sale for $159 dollars thru tomorrow, it is Sears item # 00918175000. Now about the compressor I have an oil-less unit from Craftsman, its a 2 hp, with a 10 gal tank(I believe). I do have an aux. tank I can hook up in line for those bigger air jobs. But that has so far been enough compressor for all I've done, finish nailer, framing nailer, and paint gun.
                    Thanks again for the help. I think I will pay Sears a visit this weekend.

Comment

Best wishes & happy shopping

Comment

Working...
                      X