Jointer vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer vibration

I just purchased a floor model 6 1/8 in jointer on Wed. As soon as I got it home and started it up I noticed vibration. I checked to make sure everything is tight, checked blades, cutterhead, belt tension, even went as far as changing to a link belt, still have what I would consider excessive vibration.

Also ran motor with no belt, and it runs smooth. Thinking maybe pulley alignment I aligned the pulleys (they were off about 1/4) Still had vibration.

Can you help me to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

[ 01-10-2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: SillyGoose ]

Have you tried contacting Ridgid.

I had issues with my Delta bandsaw tracking when I first bought it and they helped me out when I called 800 number.

This should be a basic customer service issue. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Jake

Comment

SillyGoose - If it's a v-belt it could be the belt. It's common for belts to have a zig or a zag that causes vibration. Getting a new belt, or better yet a link belt should help if that's the problem.

Comment

As I said in original post, the belt was one of the first things I checked, and even went as far as buying a link belt, It did not improve the situation. I have sent an E-mail to Ridgid. I will be contacting my Home Depot on Monday. I do not own a truck so I rented one from them to take home the jointer. I really do not want to absorb that expense again, I am hoping they will be willing to deliver a new one and pick up this one.

Comment

I hope they take good care of you. Let us know how it goes. Btw. Isn't there a number at Ridgid that you can call and talk with a person rather than sending an email. When I had problems assembling my tools, I phoned a number I got off the back of my manuals. Wasn't ridgid, but that was how I got my customer service which has been great for me.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by SillyGoose:
            I just purchased a floor model 6 1/8 in jointer on Wed. As soon as I got it home and started it up I noticed vibration. I checked to make sure everything is tight, checked blades, cutterhead, belt tension, even went as far as changing to a link belt, still have what I would consider excessive vibration.

Also ran motor with no belt, and it runs smooth. Thinking maybe pulley alignment I aligned the pulleys (they were off about 1/4) Still had vibration.

Can you help me to troubleshoot this?

Thanks
            How much did you get it for? I have been trying to buy the one at my local HD but they don't believe that it's the old one..Seems the Ridgid rep told them nothing has changed they are still the same made here in USA...Life time warranty the whole bit....they want $399.99 for it,,

Comment

It was marked 399.00 they took 10% off for being the floor model. I thought it would be the new one too, I had called and asked over the phone about it, I sent my husband to pick it up and he came home with the grey one. If I had known it was the old one, I would have insisted on more off or just waited and got the new one. The 10% off didn't help much since I had to go and buy a 26.00 link belt.

I hope to have this wrapped up by this afternoon, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

One thought that occurs to me is that one of the pulleys is out of round, or that one of the arbors that the pulleys ride on may be bent. If Ridgid is willing to send you a replacement set of pulleys, I'd try that first. Elsewise, I'd ask them (Home Depot or Ridgid). Home Depot allows a 30 day return period, Ridgid is 90 days, so watch the clock while you're working on the problem.

Paul

Comment

Well thanks for everybodys help, The more I thought about it I just felt better getting a new jointer. I suspect this one was damaged in store or during shipping. I did call Ridgid and they were courteous and helpful. They offered to send me new pulleys. I was really hoping to have a working jointer by weeks end so I opted to take it back as soon as the HD had a jointer available. I called the HD I got it at and they did an even exchange for a new in box jointer. They also allowed me to use their truck for free to get it home and bring back the old one.

Overall I was pleased with the response from HD and Ridgid. Of course I wish there hadn't been a problem in the first place, but that happens with all products from time to time.

Comment

This is just fantastic news to hear that even Home Depot is getting envolved in making things write.

These are the things that help sell the product.Being taken care of the things that go wrong. I think Ridgid & Home Depot is sitting up and taking notice to what we are all saying here. What we expect, and what we fear.
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Wow, good CS at Home Depot. No wonder it's so cold outside right now. HE!! is freezing over!!

Hope the new one works well. i have the JPO610 from a year ago and it works well.

Comment

cool Sillygoose.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the outcome but kudos for Home Depot. A couple more of these and I may start to like them again.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jake

Comment

Working...
                        X