X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Planer Question???

As usual the simple things confuse me. Finally got around to setting up and playing with my thickness planer I got for Christmas. The weather has been cooperating and my back felt pretty good (all things considered) so out to the garage. I have the Dewalt 734. Surprisingly this thing seemed to be ready to go out of the box. (first power tool i have had that had done that) One feature on here confuses me and the manual does not clearly explain it (to me) so i figured I would come where no one laughs at my questions (at least publically and i get good advice. There is something called a "turret stop" and it has 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 settings. what exactly does this do??

Also tis thing seems to be able to handle removing more wood on one pass than the jointer, is that a good practice or should one take several thin passes as one usually does on the jointer?

Thanks All
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

The turret depth stop allows you to plane two or more pieces of wood to the same thickness on different batch runs. Normally we run all our wood for a project through the planer at the same time until the required thickness is reached. With the turret depth stop set at a final thickness of say 3/4" you can start with say 4/4 material and always end up at the same 3/4" thickness without constantly checking to see if you have reached the desired 3/4" thickness. Once you reach 3/4" the turret will stop turning. I would test this in practice a few time before I trusted it.

The max depth of cut on a planer is 1/8" and the machine will struggle on 12" wide hardwood boards at that depth. Lighter passes is more desireable for a finer finish. I always make the last few passes very fine about 1/4 crank of the handle. Same theory applies to the jointer but it can take 1/8" without breaking a sweat on the full 6" wide hardwood board.

Comment

Ahh

so basically set the turret stop to whatever I want my final thickness to be. that will prevent the blades from cutting any deeper.

See why didn't the instruction manual just say that???LOL
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
      X