X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking noise

I have just purchased the 12V 1/2" Ridgid and when you let the trigger go it really clunks. Is this normal because it does not sound good.

from everything I've read/heard it is just the brake doing its job. So hopefully you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I know my 18V Dewalt does something similar, it was odd untill I got used to it.

Comment

JJC is right, its a normal with single sleave chucks. Not a problem at all.

Originally posted by TomDawg:
      I have just purchased the 12V 1/2" Ridgid and when you let the trigger go it really clunks. Is this normal because it does not sound good.

Comment

Milwalkee Loc-Tor drills donot do that. They have designed the lock differently. I have used others, and this is a nice feature. It is also single sleeved.

Comment

Andrew, what is a nice feature? That Milw. drills don't clunk or that Ridgid do?

Mr Man., Will the clunking shorten the life of the drill or is it somehow beneficial to the design?

Comment

The Bosch and DeWalt that I used did the same thing,'clunk', and they said it it has no effect on the tool. The Red one does not clunk, and I think it is a nice feature to have but you have to decide if it is that important to you.

Comment

It is just the chuck nothing will happen to the tool. and yes milw. has the best chuck on the market (right now) and next year it may be ridgid. besides all chucks are made by a hand full of chuck manu. (jacobs chuck, rhom and so on).

Comment

HEY bh26pro if you want a loc tor chuck i can sell you one for around 35.00 bucks.

Comment

So it's the chuck that is actually making the sound/

If I were to remove my chuck and run/stop the drill, would I not hear the clunk?

Comment

No, it is the design of the brake/lock on the drill output shaft. The chuck is not causing the clunk. I have a Milwalkee electric drill with single slevee and no brake,no clunk, but the shaft locks to tighten the chuck with one hand. When the other brands of cordless drills stop, the brake causes the locking to occur at the same time, and you hear the clunk. On the Milwalkee drill ,it rotates sometimes when you start to tighten the chuck until the it locks, so I think it is independant of the brake .

Comment

Working...
                    X