X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 need replacement fence rails

I went to the orange box here in downtown D.C. a few days ago and picked up a discounted TS3650 table saw.

I had spoken with the employee in charge of the table saws to find out why it was discounted. The box checked off said "slow moving." I noticed there was no box 2 nearby (Ridgids come in two boxes). The employee said, "yea thats why its discounted, it doesn't have the other box." I asked what was in the other box, the employee said she didn't know and then starred blankly at me hoping I would leave it at that. Unfortunatley for her I didn't leave it at that and asked her if there was someone she could ask to be sure. She seemed annoyed, but said yes and called someone. She then told me that the saw was discounted because it was missing the stand. Great, I thought, I can build a stand with casters to replace the herc-u-lift that people rave about. I came back later and bought the saw and dragged it home.

Only after I took the entire package apart did I realize what most of the people who own Ridgid's already know -- the stand was not missing, the rails for the fence were missing. The stand I can replace, the fence rails I have no way of replacing. That is a significant safety/functionality feature. I called the Ridgid parts hotline and they said that they don't carry the replacement fence for the 3650 yet.

So the point of my shaggy dog story is that I really don't want to repack and drag this saw back, but I will if I can't cure this significant problem. An after-market fence would increase the price over the normal retail price of the ridgid. At that price I would rather have the new Griz or GI anyway.

I was wondering if anyone here knew whether the TS3650 fence rails are the same as the rails on any of the other Ridgid table saws? If that is the case, I may be able to buy the rails without increasing the price of the saw beyond the normal retail price. Or are there other rails that I can use on it?

Otherwise, I think my only course of action, short of returning the saw, is to go back to the store and demand more of a discount so I can buy an after-market fence without raising the price of the saw above the new Grizzlys and GIs.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Frankly, I've heard two stories----one that the 3650 is similar to the previous fences and the other that it's different. I'd take the word of what Ridgid had to say.

You didn't say how much of a discount you got. You can get a decent aftermark fence/rails starting at $240-60, going up depending on quality and length of rails you want.

In fairness, while the 3650 fence is supposed to be pretty good, a T-Square fence like the Biesemeyer or clone is a better grade. I would certainly expect at least the cost of fence and rails off the price, which I seem to remember is under $200, but doubt you'd get the price of a Biese' off the price. In which case, you may just want to take it back. You've got a good reason if Ridgid doesn't have the rails available.
    Dave

Comment

dozuki.
      You didn't say how much you paid for the saw, but if it was more than $400 or so I would take it back. If it was less than $400 or so I would get an aftermarket fence for it. Just my 2 cents.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

The 2424 rails are supposed to fit, but I'm not going to say for certain since I don't want to accept the blame if they don't

The 3650 fence is good, but if you have the oportunity to upgrade to a Bies on HD's dime you might as well. I know that people that are getting the Grizzly with the 50" rails also get (forced to get) the 30" rails. If you could get ahold of an owner you could probably buy them cheaply and just add a fence. BTW, my neighbor is getting the Grizzly 50". (And just so the Ridgid haters don't use this as another oportunity to bash the 3650, he's getting a Grizzly because he needs the 50", otherwise he'd have gone Ridgid.)

If HD refuses to discount it so you can buy the fence then obviously you should take it back, but don't worry about taking it apart, that's not required.

Marcus

Comment

Lorax,

You have excellent intuition. I got it for $400, which is $200 off. I figured I could make a stand with casters for about $100 (I would probably spend more to make a full set of cabinets to go underneith). That puts the price at $500. The same as the sale before Christmas and cheaper than the (IMHO) better saws at $600.

The problem is that at $400, the most reasonably priced aftermarket I have found so far is the Accusquare for around $220 putting saw at more than $600. For $600, as you know, you can get saws with knock-off bies fences.

Do you have any idea if there is a flea bay market for just the Ridgid fence w/o rails? If I could get some $$ for it, that make up for the cost of an after-market. If I can get $50-75 or so, I may feel justified in getting the Incra -- the fence I really want (droool).

Otherwise, I think $400 ain't worth it and I am going to take it back, complain to the store manager, and order the Grizzly 0444z, Bridgewood, or GI like I should'a.

Comment

If you can get a little more off the price, I think you'd have the best of both worlds. You'd have an upgraded fence, and still have the other benifits of the 3650 that other TS are missing.

Marcus

[ 02-04-2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Marcus ]

Comment

Nobody mentioned hat they're shocked there are no spare fences available. Back order I can understand, but not available is kinda rediculous. These things do sometimes get damaged in shipping, are folks supposed to toss the saw when this happens?

If you like the ridgid, sounds like you got a deal. I'd keep it. For 250ish you can get the Bies fence. woohoo. Pretty cool. I'd go for th 50 inch. Probably gonna have trouble finding rails for 3650 since it's a new saw and they don't have spares.

Your decision

Jake

Comment

I'd try for another $100 off or at least $80 which, (someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong) I believe is what the Herculift sold for separately. If not, I'd take it back, because, between the basic Accursquare and mobile base, plus saw price, you're up to $700 and now you're in the price range of the General with Biesemeyer fence.

Jake----between rails for this saw and the previous stories about the 3612, beginning to think fence rails are like missing socks---they just vanish. I don't thing they ever did have replacement fence/rails for the 3612.
                Dave

Comment

I think I would go back to the store and do some searching on my own. Many times the employees don't know what they have or that the two boxes go together. I have been in all the HD's within 25 miles of my home and I have seen the Box #1 in one place/aisle and Box #2 (with the rails) a couple aisles over or way up top on the racks, also look over by the Ridgid wet/dry vacs or find the Ridgid accessory display, you know, the one that has the Dado inserts for the saw they no longer make

In a couple of these stores I have counted all the 3650 boxes (box #1) that I could find and counted the number of Box #2 and they don't match, usually more of #2 than #1. Must be a few people out there without rails huh?

Anyway, go back and conduct your own search, certainly easier than dragging the beast back to the store.

Comment

I agree with Dave Ferg,

Use it as leverage that you already have a useless saw out of their store. If they want it back they won't be able to sell it w/o rails

Also, I'd tell him that you were grossly misrepresented and plead your case. Just be prepared to take it back if they don't give you the discount. I would bring pictures on a digital camera with you to show him you have legs and no fence.

I don't think they want the saw back and can't argue it's a useable tool. But it's a huge store, who knows what the response is.

Jake

Comment

Bob D. said:
                      In a couple of these stores I have counted all the 3650 boxes (box #1) that I could find and counted the number of Box #2 and they don't match, usually more of #2 than #1. Must be a few people out there without rails huh?
                      Hopefully they bought an aftermarket fence huh... or they're using it for crosscuts only... or they're wondering why they can't get a decent rip cut!

[ 02-04-2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Redbrick ]

Comment

Have heard far too many stories like this over the past years. Have come to one conclusion:

Definition of Mass Confusion----inventory day at Home Depot. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        Dave

Comment

Had a similar episode when I bought my 3650. I/they did not realize that there were supposed to be two sep. boxes when I checked out at HD. I did not realize it until about a week later while I was in the middle of unpacking/assembly. Called up the HD and spoke with the manager on duty...we both agreed that I had no way to prove that I had not received box 2. He said, "well, let me check our inventory...sure enough a couple of extra box 2's laying around...one must be your's" Went down and picked it up with no receipt and no more questions asked.

[ 02-04-2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: HANDZ98 ]

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                            I'd try for another $100 off or at least $80 which, (someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong) I believe is what the Herculift sold for separately. If not, I'd take it back, because, between the basic Accursquare and mobile base, plus saw price, you're up to $700 and now you're in the price range of the General with Biesemeyer fence.
                            One of us is confused since you seem to be thinking that he doesn't have the Herculift while I think that he does. If I'm wrong and you're missing the Herculift too, then you better get a bigger discount dozuki.
                            If you're just missing the rails you still should try for that bigger discount, but even if you don't get it, I still think you'll have a great saw once you add a fence.

Marcus

Comment

Dozuki,

Dropped in an email, check your profile for it. I'll buy the fence off of you and live here in DC.

Murph
                              murph

Comment

Working...
                              X