X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery storage (shelf life?)

I just got a new battery in the mail from the ridgid/home depot battery promotion - bought the drill 2 days after the promotion ended & still got my battery [img]smile.gif[/img] . I don't plan on using it anytime soon. I'll probalby only use my drill once once or twice a month (around the house & woodworking), so I really don't need 3 batteries (drill came with 2).

Can I keep the new battery as shipped with no negative consequenses or do I need to charge it (and rotate it with the other two)? I'd like to set it on a shelf and forget about it till the other batteries are no good, but I don't really think that's possible - I'd assume the battery has a shelf life and will be no good at some point, anyone know how long that is?

The batteries do come partially charged so I would guess you better charge them and drain them right after and repeat the process several times for each batterie or elso they may never reach their peak power and you will be at a loss from the begining. Or you can sell one or two and just use the one batterie once in a while to keep a recharge cycle going. One more option would be to buy the flashlight that comes from the kit if you know someone who doesn't want it. You can always use the flashlight and that way you can drain the batterie and continue that drain/charge cycle.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Put the battery in use if you plan to keep it. Although not as bad as NiMH, NiCd has a self-discharge characteristic (think of it as a slow leak). One of the worst things you can do with NiCds is leave them for extended periods in a completely discharged state. Permanent damage may occur. IMO when they say batteries are shipped partially charged, what they really mean is battery was fully charged when manufactured but will be discharged to some extent when you receive it. You should charge it immediately and preferably use it a few times to break them in. I would not buy a NiCd that's been on the shelf more than a year.

I haven't checked ebay lately, but I think they bring less than $35. If you can't run all 3 batteries through a completely charge and discharge at least once a month it still might make sense to sell it anyway. One thing that would probably help sell it is to advertise the date code. That code is all that identifies the battery as part of a kit. That's all I'll say on that topic ....

Comment

Working...
      X