18 Volt Variable speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Volt Variable speed

I have the 18 volt Hammer drill that comes in the 4 piece set. The variable speed is not working, the high and low (1 and 2)still work but there is no in between. I have had this set since November and use it everyday in the plumbing field. I am going to take the drill back because of the lifetime warranty but am afraid of losing it for awhile, like I said it is used daily.Few other problems I have encountered, although minor I am keeping my eye on them:
    -happened twice when drill will not shut off
    -charger fan has made a whining noise when cold
    -tools are looking ragged because of bag
    -bag is starting to wear through(is bag warranteed)
    Brett

I had the same problem. I had just finished a hole and let go of the trigger but the drill kept running. I pushed the trigger a few times and shook the drill and it finally shut off. After that, the variable speed did not work. Took it to Home Depot and they said they can't do anything, I had to go to a Ridgid authorized service center. I took it to one and the response I got was, "We no longer deal with Ridgid or Ryobi, we've had it with them, they're not worth the hassle." Went to the second service center and when I hold up the drill, the lady at the desk rolls her eyes and says in annoyed manner, "Yeah, we do the Ridgid warranty." Anyways, my drill was gone for a little over three weeks. They claimed they were waiting for a new switch to come from Ridgid. Those switches must be in high demand. Fortunately, I'm just a weekend warrior and not having a cordless for three weeks wasn't that big of a deal. I've heard of some people getting tools switched out for new ones immediately at Home Depot, you may want to try that first. If you go to a service center, you may be without a drill for a while.

Comment

I have to be honest, I'm suspicious about guys that show up here just to whine and my have never actually owned the tool.

Comment

ROFL:

I can understand your concern and I am sure that people do do that. but really are they that bored and have that much free time. But I think some of the complaints are legit. I think about What i do when something goes wrong....go to Website, call the 1800#, or go to where I bought it. If people go to the Ridgid website first and see this forum. Why not see if they can help.

On another note. I have a friend that services tools and he said that where he works will not repair Ryobi tools because TTI...Their manufacture...takes too long to get parts. Customers get mad at them because their drill was gone for a month or longer. And since TTI makes the Ridgid Brand. I can imagine the parts take just as long to get. Just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by rofl:
          I have to be honest, I'm suspicious about guys that show up here just to whine and my have never actually owned the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl:
            Your suspicion is not surprising considering that was my first post. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've been reading these forums for several months but this was the first time I had something to add because I had the exact same problem as the thread starter. Perhaps I should add that overall I am very happy with the performance of all my Ridgid tools-4 piece combo kit, compound miter saw TS3650, 16 gallon shop vac, EB4424 sander and several wrenches and screwdrivers. But maybe you weren't talking about me.

Comment

Maybe he was talking about me, doesn't matter. I too have been happy with my set and always talk it up to my coworkers and let others try it. But if I have a problem with it , I am going to ask around before I just take it in. I am active in another forum about snowmobiles and hopefully this forum doesn't get to the point of someone getting slammed for asking a simple question like in the sled forum. So I apologize if I have aroused someones suspicions, just trying to get some information on my cordless drill.
              Brett

Comment

Hey all of you the problem with waiting for a switch for 3 weeks is a common thing with all of the tool makers at time to time. but the real problem is you are not dealing with the ridge tool company, you are dealing with someone else. all you have is a tool with the ridgid name. i have yet to see a ridgid tool come in for repair,a good thing or a bad thing iam not sure.my co. deals with major contractors across the country,i fix all major brands of electric tools. when say a 700 machine(ridgid threader)comes in for repair and i have to order parts i have those parts in about a week or even a couple days, same goes with there drain cleaners because i am dealing with the real ridgid.from what i read in the forum i guess the drills are pretty good. i personally think that milwaukee are just about the best cordless and corded tools made. every tool maker has that one tool that is top of the line or better than the other companys. for ex. ridgid pipe machine vs rex wheeler machine. ridgid wins hands down. milw. sawzaw or dewalt, milw, hands down. just some of my thoughts.

Comment

I bought the 3 piece kit a week or so ago at Home Depot. I used the drill a few hours last week to drive some screws on a deck I'm building. Yesterday I started putting the decking down, and within a half hour of starting, my drill lost the variable speed as discussed above.

I'm not sure if I should even bother exchanging for a new one, since obviously Ridgid has not fixed the problem, and it obviously still exists in the latest version being manufactured. Unfortunately the drill is great otherwise, but I want something reliable, and I'm not sure if Ridgid is it.

I think the kit may be going back for a refund. A shame, since I got a stellar deal on the kit ($289 - 10%, plus a free batter and $25 HD gift card by mail-in rebate).

Comment

FWIW, I have used my 4 piece kit since January with no problems. If it is hot out and you try to charge a battery after draining it with continuous use of the cut saw it will not charge in 30 min it takes an hour because the battery has to cool before it will charge (actually a good thing for battery life).
                    I had an opurtunity to test the dewalt 4 piece kit along side my kit this weekend (actually only used the drills) as we put up an awning on my neighbours back deck and he just purchased the Dewalt Kit. He had used my kit before and was going to buy the Rigid but HD dropped the price of the Dewalt kit to match the Ridgid and threw in the radio for free. The drills are fairly equal in weight but the Ridid feels better in my hand. Drilling holes and driving #14 X 4" screws is easy for both drills as would be expected with 500 in-lbs for the dewalt and 510 for the Ridgid. The fun came when we drove 1/2" X 5" lag bolts. We each drove in 4 lags then for fun we switched sides and my Ridgid put and extra 1.5 turns on each of his lags, the Dewalt did not budge mine. I checked the bolts with my torque wrench and the lags were tight to 40 Ft Lbs

Comment

Working...
                    X