Cordless drills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless drills

I am a big fan of the dewalt cordless drills, they are high priced compared to others, but i like the durability, the balance, and the strength of the drill in use. I have 2 18 volt drills, 1 hammer drill one regular. I am looking in the near future to replacing my older drill. it is just getting worn. I am looking at the Rigid, but i am not seing any 18 volt, and the ones i have played with on the shelf seem to be very heavy in comparison. I am not hung up on dewalt colours, is the rigid a drill worth taking a serious look at? I do a lot of millwork installation and like the drilling power of the dewalt, does the rigid compare. Also the batery life of the dewalt is good, i also like the amount of speed and torque control i get with the dewalt, i do alot of hardware installation where too much torque can damage product and strip screws. Again here in Canada the dewalts are quite pricey and i am not sure i want to put that much coin into another 18 volt dewalt, roughly $350. what sort of feed back can you give me on the rigid?

Thanks.

There are several good brands available. Ridgid has their name on an 18v drill that many here have had issues with. There are others here who swear by theirs. I do not own one.

For the price you quoted you would be better off getting a combo kit regardless of the brand you choose, you will get other tools along with your drill for not much more. With the heavy competition in cordless tools combo kits often come with extra batteries or other "freebies" that make them an even better deal than single purchase tools.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

For what it's worth, I am quite happy with my Ridgid 12V cordless drill that I bought a month or so ago--has performed admirably and seems quite solid. In fact, if anything, I'm thinking of returning it and getting one with even more power (because I just can't get enough!) The Ridgid 18V should be great; I'd buy it if I had the money.

Dave

Comment

Tim,
        If you have a arsenal full of Dewalt tools and your happy with them why change? It just means you will have another Different charger to lug around and a pair of batteries that aren't compatible with any of your existing tools. And like Plumber mentioned for 350 bones I hope your getting a combo pack. If not I have a 18 volt drill I'd like to sell ya

Comment

Speaking of Ridgid drills, I stopped in at the Home Depot in Concord, CA on Friday, and they had the $189, 18V unit with 2 batteries for $99. I don't know if all stores have this promotion, but it's worth a phone call at least. Good Luck.

Comment

Ya, the 3/8" 18v drills were a great sale if you don't need a 1/2" drill to do your job and then getting a chuck and replacing the 3/8" isn't worth it. Hve you noticed how E-BAY is now flooding with those drills? The Shop vacs that were $25 all 80 at the local Home Depot sold in 10 minutes some people were buying 3 of 4 and so when i got there they were all gone. I slept in a bit because of my baby keeping me up but, why did they run out and not have a limit one per costumer or rain checks. I was told they won't do a rain check since the add came out thanksgiving day!
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

PolarSparky,

I was surprised that they sold out of the 12-gal Vacs so quickly. My local store sold all 44 of theirs within the first hour.

I bought two of those last year for the same price and they are one terrific shop vac. But last year, they had them in my local store for three days before they sold out; and, they only had about 50 of them from the start.

In any case, I wanted to buy one fo my son this year and, like you, didn't get there in time. However, a sales guy that I know fairly well, told me that they were expecting more of those to come in later this week... so keep checking your local store.

CWS

Comment

I have the online add printed off that states the offer is good until nov 28th this monday! all i need is one! As for E-bay most of the shopvacs are gone but there are still a few 3/8" drills.

Next year I'll go shoping with a baseball bat and a large cart! No more people run over my feet!

Comment

If you were thinking of buying an 18 volt Ridgid Hammer Drill, DONT DO IT!!!!! I have been through 7 of these drills in the past two years. I only ocasionly use the drill so they shhould last much longer. With 2 of them the chucks broke,with 1 it just burned up and with 4 of them the variable speed quit working. Im not sure what im going to do with the last broken drill, I guess just send it to a service center.

Comment

I have only had the chuck problem and it was only ive minutes to fix it after the service center had more 1/2 inch chucks delivered. I have had no problems with any of my tools since then.

Comment

The first question I ask myself is: Do I really need 18 Volts? Most 14.4 Volt models have more than plenty of power needed for about 99% of the applications, along with lighter weight and cost less. If you do need the power we are very happy with the new 28 volt that Milwaukee put out last year. I noticed that the price of these just dropped and are now available in Home Depot
                      Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

how is makita ?? are the new tools any good.i have 3 ,17 or 18 yr old 9.6v drills and a 7yr old 12v drill and they all still work the same as they did when i got them. my dewalt drills/sawzall are not holding up as well.i had ryobi at one time but they did not holed up to good.
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Dang wish I had seen this

>>If you were thinking of buying an 18 volt Ridgid Hammer Drill, DONT DO IT!!!!! I have been through 7 of these drills in the past two years. I only ocasionly use the drill so they shhould last much longer. With 2 of them the chucks broke,with 1 it just burned up and with 4 of them the variable speed quit working. Im not sure what im going to do with the last broken drill, I guess just send it to a service center.<<

I just went thru my frist Rigid or non-rigid 18v hammer within 112 days of purchase. Which means Home Depot wouldnt take it back now am stuck trying to find a service center to fix or repair it..
                          Question do you have any luck returning these junk drills to the service centers and getting them repaired if they can be.
                          Tomorrow my Jig saw is going back to HD within the 90 days
                          Wish I found this site sooner should have paid for DeWalt

Thanks
                          Eric

Comment

Hammer Drill Failure

Eric,

You noted that you just went through your first drill with a failure just outside of the 90-day return policy. But, regarding the gentleman whose post that you quoted, let me ask: How do you burn up a drill? Keep using it even when it gets hotter than hell and not pay attention? He stated that he went through seven drills in two years. Well, I'm not in the business, but I look at it this way; one failure may be the particular tool and two failures probably the manufacturer. So, I would have switched to another brand after the second failure. Unless of course I know its me and the way I'm using/abusing them. In which case I'd probably keep on using the Ridgids because I know I can get them replaced, serviced or whatever and apparently nobody's asking what he's doing to cause this.

But seven drills indicates a problem beyond the drill and its design. Either a bigger tool needs to be used for the task or you need to change the way you're doing it. Having a drill burn up is indicative of pushing the tool well beyond its limitations. If I'm using a drill and the darn thing starts to heat up, I know I need to stop before I destroy it; and I know I need to switch to a bigger drill. Under the same eye, busting a Jacobs chuck normally takes some doing.

Of course, in all fairness, I haven't any idea of what kind of work was being done with these drills. But the evidence of seven broken drills in two years does indicate that the Ridgid model isn't up to the job. I sure hope he (and you) have better luck with another model or brand and you'll have to let us all know. But for now, I'm more under the impression that seven drills were destroyed because they were either undersized or misused. Of course it could be that the things are junk, but in consideration of all the guys who like this tool, one might conclude otherwise.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 12-31-2005, 12:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Ridgid 18V battery drill

Eric!!

Yes, I really know what you feel about this battery drill. I purchased a refurbished R841151 (pistol model) from ebay. It lasted only 7 months. The variable speed switch was burned. I thought I used it recklessly. So I purchased similar one, this one was R841150 and brand spanking new. First when I got it, the chuck was wobble, so I resent it back to the seller, the seller took it to the home depot and they gave him a brand new one, then he sent it to me. Again, this one was wobble a bit, but I didnt bother (it seems that wobble chuck is a factory standard). And yes, exactly 7 months on normal use (I learnt from the previous mistake) , the switch was burned again. It really annoyed me since I live in new zealand, and Ridgid new zealand doesnt do cordless power tools. They dont have the spare part for it. So, I ended up fixing the electronic circuit inside the switch. I found out the Diode was burned and cracked, and also the mosfet. I could find the similar mosfet with a better spec, it's HUF76145P3 (original mosfet was HUF76143P3 manufactured by Fairchild) which cost me NZ$26 from new zealand RSComponents. I replaced the Mosfet and the diode which can handle 3A of 60V (original diode can only handle 1A). And yay, I fixed it, it was spinning as it used to be. But damn, it only drilled a few holes, the switch started giving me hassles again. And this time I knew the problem must be the diode, I should have used a bigger diode which can handle 6A. But the only problem was, the space for diode was too thight for a fat 6A diode. After a few hours fixing and retesting the switch, the brand new Mosfet was leaking. And now I got fed up fixing this battery drill. I have to order a spare part from http://m-and-d.com. They will charge me US$30.07 for the switch and US$20.50 for the shipping.
                              I am telling you guys, this battery drill is not worth it to be used and purchased. I was supposed to buy Dewalt brand in here instead. I happened to fix my bosses battery drill, I found out that dewalt used 6A diode inside the variable switch, this made the drill last longer. I have a workmate who has had a 14 dewalt battery drill for 5 years, he never had a hassle using it.
                              A few things I like about Ridgid 18 hammer drill are, the motor is way more poweful than dewalt, the hammer drill function is better than dewalt (it drills concrete quicker eventho it makes more noise level), and the charger is a rapid one (however, I have to buy a step down transformer to get it run, since we've got 230V in new zealand)

Does anyone know how to get the variable speed switch for R841151 and R841150 with cheaper price? Or does anyone can give me suggestion how to get my battery drill running? (I reckon, both drills use exactly the same type of switch, eventho they have different spare part number)

Cheers

Henry

Comment

Working...
                              X