X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made in USA

Just because The drills are made in china doesn't mean the quality is lower then in the USA. If anything. The quality could be higher. Example craftsmen tool chests. Made in USA. Garbage. cheap 1,300 gauge steel flimsey stuff(exaggeration of course). Okay I'm having difficulty comparing apples to apples here but. Japan has better technology then us, so much so that our own armed forces use alot of foreign made technology. If they did make the X2 in the USA would you pay for the price they would ask to build new plants for plastic, metal, rubber, wires, motors, switches, gears, batteries, and pay possible 20 dollar an hour USA wages. After all if it isn't made by parts that were made in the USA. Then what have you got? It all depends
    Show me a powertool that says CREATED IN THE USA FROM DOMESTIC COMPONENTS Unfortunately I haven't found anything for power tools of this sort but there may be, I know I see a reply if i'm wrong

tbutler6,

But why are the drills priced right up there with Milwaukee and DeWalt?

How are these Ridgid drills better than Chinese brand-label-engineered Coleman or Nikota drills that sell for 60-75% less?

I would like to see an independant comparison test of these Ridgid products.

I do own their shop vacuum and am very pleased with it.

Comment

mwrules = troll

Way to go using your first post to bash someone. Congrats.

Anyway, RIDGID is priced with DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc., so that consumers will considere them to be the same level of tool (pro vs. dyi'er vs. once a year hobbyist). The cordless drills may actually be worth it.

As a general rule, power tools made in America blow away tools made oversees. No, Japan does not have superior technology. In fact, they hardly ever innovate at all. They only refine existing technology. (I used to work for a Japanese company.) Janpanese optics are pretty good. Japanese mechancis tools are trash. Japanese capital equipment, well, most of it I wouldn't use for a boat anchor.

Actually, the only people I've met who believe that Japan has superior technology are either inexperienced or Japanese.

Edit: Just because the military uses it doesn't mean it's any good. They use either political buddies or whoever is the lowest bidder.

[ 11-30-2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: MorePowerMatt ]

Comment

Well I'm not sure about advanced technology, but I have been selling and using powertools for a few years. The Ridgid tools,(so far),have been selling very well. and the feed back I've gotten from contractors has even been better.
        As far as made in America goes, the quality of the product is not worth the cost. That is the fault of the unions. I'm not saying that we should work as cheap as they do in Japan,China or even Mexico. But we can do alot better at competing with the Asian market.

[ 11-30-2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
        Jeff

Comment

If I hear one more person blame the unions (big Thanksgiving Day fight), I'm gonna scream----yea----we should all go to work for a dollar a day, like in China. Darned unions!

Anyway, a large chuck of Japanese technology came from the US in the first place----they just did something we never bothered with----work towards constant improvement and broaden application. Most of their cornering the market was our own darned fault.

Have to admit, I'm getting darned tired of being forced to buy Chinese goods (forced = only selection in some products is Chinese). Personally, I don't think too much of Chinese tools, unless their raw materials and design are strictly controlled by the US importer----otherwise, it's a crap shoot as to quality.
          Dave

Comment

There's more to it than unions. However, I first-hand observed how a union destroyed a plant in America and now the product has been moved overseas. I also observed first-hand how I got laid-off due to low seniority despite the fact I was more knowledgeable and more dedicated than the high-seniority retirees they kept. It does not bother me anymore, as I have moved on to a better company. Gee, let's keep going that way so pretty soon only the union president can afford the product his people are making.

You are right on about the materials. Chinese tooling is just as bad or worse than Japanese tooling.

Comment

the unions are the death of the american product. how can you justify paying someone 28.00 dollars an hour to sweep a floor! all the non union employees are paying the bills of this country and we are paying the price of all the union slobs that cry and complain they do not make enough.i know a lot of gm employees and it is a shame the money they make for the amount of work they do. they are the reason we have to pay so much for a car.(union slobs)

Comment

CujOHD,
                "As far as made in America goes, the quality of the product is not worth the cost."

How do you suppose that Skil can still make their entire circ. saw line in the US and sell it for less than most of their competition?

Comment

One man running dozens of Robotics? (like the car manufactures do now)
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Attention moderators: the "Made in China Issue" now requires its' own forum. Please rectify. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I still think it makes no difference where its made as long as materials and fit and finish of the tool itself are of high quality. I think if it was made in the US the ridgid cordless drills would be priced very high or there would be budget cuts.

Comment

also I have to agree with an earlier reply, that it is easier to make an expensive, HI quality product, then to cut corners and guess at the bare minimum of exceptible components, that will just last through the warrenty. And with as many companies the were involved with making them. TTI, RIDGID, JOHNSON, METABO, EMERSON, OWT and whomever else, they should know how to build a quality line.

Comment

I'm not going to bash China, and I'm not going to bash the Unions, either. But any time an industry lets its labor costs get out of balance, such the the costs of transport and time to use a cheaper labor force, are compensated by the wage imbalance --- then that industry is in for a global reckoning.

The latest cover of Business Week features an article about the future of India and the future of US High-tech industries. Right now, the software development industry has invented itself into a place where inventive and creative minds that used to earn their owners $300 and hour, are being replaced by software processes assembled by robots at $5 or less .... and those robots are kept working by programmers with SUPERIOR educations (MS in Comp Sci, usually) than the average US programmer.

In 1984, I was picknicking on the dock at New Orleans, when I spied a strange-looking ship unloading what seemed to be I-Beams. Sure enough, that ship was Korean. I then asked around, and found out that the steel was being shipped to a large stadium project near Cairo, IL.

Do the math: Manufacture in Korea, ship 3-4,000 miles across the Pacific, pay the tolls through the Panama Canal, cross-dock to river barges, then go UPstream on the Mississippi.....to land steel beams within 500 miles of Pittsburgh or Chicago!!!!!

I grew up in Pittsburgh....I felt the unions' power, and was even a USW member at one time. I don't blame them for trying to make our lives better as they though they knew. I don't blame our current-day megabusinesses for competing in the game as it is played, either. It's ONE WORLD, not many -- and all things seek their own level. Ask any steelworker in Pittsburgh -- one of the couple hundred left. The only Steel left in that town is the logo you see on the NFL team.

"The goal of USX is not to make steel; it is to make profits."
                          --ex-USS chairman David Roderick, after completing the purchase of Marathon Oil Company

Comment

Originally posted by exUsairwaysmech:
                            How do you suppose that Skil can still make their entire circ. saw line in the US and sell it for less than most of their competition?
                            But how many SKIL tools do you see on a jobsite? Not many in my experience. They keep the cost down but the quality isn't there either.
                            Jeff

Comment

cujOHD,

you wrote,

"But how many SKIL tools do you see on a jobsite? Not many in my experience."

Their worm drive circ. saws are second to none.Many professional craftsman own and use them daily.What type do you see on the jobsite in your locale?

Their line of circular saws are made in the USA and sell for equal to,or less,than the comparable Ryobi's,etc.My point is that Skil can manufacture their saws here and be price competitive with the Chinese manufactured Ryobi or Ridgid.

Comment

Working...
                              X