Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier today I went to look at the Milwaukee cordless tools again. I got my hands on the saw with a battery attached (which I had not been able to do before). Not good. The battery sticks up and hits my wrist. Maybe its just my arm, but this would be an irritating problem. The Ridgid saw, which I have used a lot, feels great. The battery is flat and out of the way, while the handle is set at a very comfortable angle, unlike the Dewalt and Panasonic saws. This may finalize my decision, assuming the next two months of using the Ridgid tools are without any problems. Now that I'm more comfortable with my decision to go with Ridgid, I'm pretty excited that I will be getting new batteries for "life," whatever that is. Thanks for the input.

Comment

FordBoy, I take absolutely no offense at anything said in a casual forum conversation. Your points were valid, and I never felt as if I were as much trying to contradict you as expand upon what you said. I moderate a rather large forum elsewhere, and have learned to look for the truth in a person's words, which is sometimes hidden by differences in how they express themselves.

Comment

SuperDave. I do not understand why you are pushing ridgid tools. Is there some bonus involved if you sell so many tools? Why do you care what brand of tool somebody buys? I know home depot is in bed with ridgid/ryobi, but what do you get out of it as an employee. I remeber about 3 years ago at homedepot this guy was non-stop about ryobi this and ryobi that. Do you get some kind of commission? I felt soory for the guy and his ryobi tools. I don't buy craftsman power tools (same company that make ridgid and ryobi make them - cordless and saws best I can tell) and I will not buy home depot brand tools.

Comment

This is the Ridgid website, for discussion of Ridgid tools and woodworking with them. You would kind of think that Ridgid people would hang here. What's the point of hanging out to insult something you don't own and don't plan to buy?

Comment

I did not intend to insult anybody. I just wanted to know why they are pushing these tools like mad. It would be different if a ridgid rep set up a table and was pushing the tools. What does your basic HD employee get out of the deal. bonus money, your own drill, vaction time, nothing??? help me to understand.

Comment

Back to the original point----if you don't like a tool's features or if feels uncomfortable or you're concerned about performance, you're certainly right to consider another tool.

For example, I had a chance to play around with the Ridgid 18 v. drill----I was used to the chuck type, but the balance was way off---I'm used to balance that I don't have to fight----

As to what brands are popular on construction sites----I visit a lot in my job----Mil' is a mainstay, particularly for large drills, Hole Hog, etc. and it's Sawsall. But, with younger crews, there's a whole lot of yellow, but for some reason, CMSs are frequently Makita.

As to "made in China", well, I'm hard pressed to have much positive to say about most Chinese made products that have a power cord attached. Sure, there are exceptions and manufacturing standards can vary. But, I don't think it's unfair to wait for a new line of tools to prove themselves, and it's only natural to want a tool to last.
              Dave

Comment

Why is HD pushing these tools? Because:

1. They are partners in the Ridgid joint venture;
                2. Thay want to build a good, exclusive store brand (smart);
                3. They stand to make a lot of money and win substantial new business if they are successful.

Really not that hard to understand why HD is pushing these tools.

[ 11-23-2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: BH626Pro ]

Comment

I won't consider buying the Ridgid tools that are made in China at the prices they are asking.I would consider them for "disposable" purposes,as I do my Chinese Ryobi 7.2V.

What is interesting is that some of the corded Ridgid tools are made in Germany,but are priced right up there with the Bosch and Milwaukee tools.

I read the Ridgid tool warranty and noticed that the Ridgid name was licensed to be used by a company called One World Technologies,Inc.

Comment

I am a contractor that builds 4 to 6 houses per year in Wisconsin. I have two partners and each one of us owns our own 18V cordless drill. I own a Dewalt, my brother owns a Milwaukee, and my other partner just bought the Ridgid.

First off, we all agree that the Milwaukee is the best drill based on quality alone. It runs the smoothest and has the most power (based on actual use, not based on technical specs). The biggest complaint so far is that the battery is a pain to get on and off. The user has to push the two buttons on the side just perfectly in order for the battery to release. Seems petty, but it is annoying every time a battery needs to be switched. The chuck on the Milwaukee is rock solid and the drill has really stood up to the abuse. I bought my Dewalt about two years ago and it has performed well. But it doesn't have that quality "feel" that the Milwaukee has and just recently my chuck has started to bind a little when removing bits. Other than that, it has stood up to our every day beating fairly well. The new Ridgid that my partner just bought has some nice features. The battery is the easiest to put on and take off and it has a very fast charge time. Like one of the previous posts reported, it doesn't last quite as long as the Milwaukee but that wouldn't effect my decision as to whether to buy it or not. However, based on our three drills, we all agree that the Ridgid does not run as smooth as the Milwaukee. It is more like my Dewalt in that respect. All said, if I were to be in the market today, I would buy the Milwaukee. Ridgid could have gotten my vote, but their price is too high for an unproven tool that doesn't seem to be as smooth as the similarly priced Milwaukee. If I were Ridgid, I would lower my price until a little brand loyalty is built.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck203:
                      SuperDave. I do not understand why you are pushing ridgid tools. Is there some bonus involved if you sell so many tools? Why do you care what brand of tool somebody buys? I know home depot is in bed with ridgid/ryobi, but what do you get out of it as an employee. I remeber about 3 years ago at homedepot this guy was non-stop about ryobi this and ryobi that. Do you get some kind of commission? I felt soory for the guy and his ryobi tools. I don't buy craftsman power tools (same company that make ridgid and ryobi make them - cordless and saws best I can tell) and I will not buy home depot brand tools.
                      If you'll read my posting, in this thread as well as others, you'll note that I'm just as much a Milwaukee fan as I am a Ridgid fan. In fact, I have belabored Ridgid in this thread to emulate some of Milwaukee's offerings.

My reasons for pushing Ridgid are precisely as stated by BH626Pro. In addition, I simply like these new Ridgid tools. Although the jury is still out about their long-term reliability (obviously), they look good and work hard. I've shifted all our store-use requirements to Ridgid, as a way of evaluating them, and they're working just as hard and just as well as the tools they've replaced.

For the record, Home Depot does not pay commission on power tools, nor is the profit margin on any specific brand of power tool significantly different from any other. Those of you who understand retail know that the real profit is in the accessories, anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X