X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Smoke

I bought my first Rigid drill just two weeks ago from Home Depot and within a couple of times using it, it started smoking. It was still working, but Ididn't want to press my luck. So I took it back and they gave me a new one. I went right back out and got to work and within the first hour of use the new one was smoking too. And I'm talking about A LOT of smoke. Anyone else running into this?

I saw this too. I was at a Home Depot checking things out last Sat. and there was an employee out front showing off the new Ridgid drills. And one started smoking. There was a group of people around too. Needless to say, it didn't look good.

Comment

Well CactusHead & ToolPro, both 2/3 posts, both registered together, you be trolls???

Comment

I had teh same problem with my 18v X2 I'm not sure is this is going to be a problem or not. Although, the only time that it did smoke was when I pushed the drill way beyond its limmits. ie. I tried to drive in a 1/2"x7" lag into a post without making a pilot hole first. I did this jsut to test the drills limits. Although when it did stop the drill did start to smoke. Brandman, is this going to be something that I have to be concerned about in the future?
        You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

I too have seen smoke coming from an 14.4V X2 drill. It happened when the motor was stalled out for 2-3 seconds when a drill bit jammed in a hole.

Drill does not appear to be damaged but curious if there is any likely hood of anything long term. I don't recall any other cordless drills I have used smoking.

S.

Comment

My 14.4 X2 smokes too. Seems to be working ok though. Also turn the lights off somtime and have it in 2nd gear. Pull the trigger a couple times and note the sparks that fly out of the motor.

[ 11-01-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

Comment

My guess is that the drills are smoking because they have no overload protection, however I can't get Brandman to respond to verify whether the cordless drills have overload protection

[ 11-02-2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: steb ]

Comment

steb, maybe brandman had Saturday off? You only posted yesterday.

Mostly hammerdrills are the ones that hype overload protection on cordless tools... the comparable dewally (983) doesn't advertise it. The hammers do, and Bosch has it in the "Brute Tough" line.

So did the Ryobi Series II.

Comment

At first I cared about the smoke and sparks but with the life warranty I could really care less. I’m not a professional, Im just a hack.

It will be interesting to read this board in 6 months. In 6 months or a year if all these drills are dead so will Ridgids cordless reputation; even if they are warranted, for professionals time is money.

I have friends that are contractors, I would like them to try a couple 18s and see their remarks. Off the bat they didn’t like the weight of the Ridgids vs DeWalts but that makes no difference for a guy like me. I’m just a home user and don’t carry it on me all day everyday. For professional use I think the Ridgids may have a late maturity for adoption due to the weight. I’m guessing a compact line will be coming.

I did some playing last night with my 14X2. I was able to drill 25-1" holes on the first charge. I think I could run-in sheet rock screws until I got tired. After that battery was dead and hot I put it on the charger, the fans worked great and in 45 min I had a cool new charged pack. At this point I’m pretty happy. But time will tell.

[ 11-02-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

Comment

Plainsman
                    how deep were the 1 inch holes?
                    and what kind of wood was it in?
                    I now have one of these 3 piece combo units and haven't had a chance to use it much yet.
                    this week hopefully.
                    Dennis

Comment

Further to Cutbuff's insinuation of trolls, here's a simple test. (I have a 12V compact Ridgid drill.) Put the drill into 2nd gear, hold the chuck, and pull the trigger. First off, the drill doesn't have the power to turn against my grip in 2nd, and starts to smoke in a second or two because of this. I'm not sure what's burning, but I guess it's the brushes.

I tried the same thing with my much less powerful and cheaper Craftsman 12V. While I could easily hold the chuck, it didn't smoke even after holding it for 10 seconds.

Try it for yourself...

Is it a problem? I don't know, but applying power to a stalled drill can't be good for it, smoke or no smoke.

Comment

BH I just tried that with my 18v and it about tore my hand apart. Didn't stall or slow down.

Dwayne

Comment

BH626PRO - if you can stop your drill with your fist, there is something wrong with it or your battery pack is gone. ( or your grip is a hell stronger than mine ) I just tried the same with a 12V cheap ryobi, a couple of 18v yellow S&@&# and the new 18vX2 ridgid and a 24v bosch. COuld not stop any of them.
                          Oh yes, I can stop my almost fully discharged makita 7.2 v.

Comment

I can the 14.4X2 with my grip in all but 1st gear at 20 and Im a pasty office worker (I didnt do it to my drill to not void a warranty). But....

I went to Sears, I could hold the 14.4x2 dewalt in all but 1st at 18-19 and that smoked too, I could hold the 18v sears in every position.

Im just one tough SOB I guess.
                            -
                            DBONZI, my 1" bit holes were about 8" into some old dry hard wood.

All in all the Ridgids seem to be on par with the 14v dewalts. I wouldnt say better yet but very similar. The testing continues.

[ 11-08-2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

Comment

The drill smoke is not a problem. It is the brushes "wearing in". Any power tool will burn in initially. Some will provide you with a smell others won't. This is a function of the make up of the magnets (material).

As for the torque or ability to hold the drill back... Going to be dependant upon your grip and the ability for you to hold onto the surface of the chuck (friction area / surface area). Also going to be dependant upon charge in the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X