Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Makita LXT Lithium Powered Tools...thoughts?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita LXT Lithium Powered Tools...thoughts?

Has anyone had a chance to try out Makita's new LXT line of lithium powered tools? I was thinking about picking up their new combo kit tomorrow.

If you have had a chance to look at these or better yet, use them, let me know.

Thanks

T

Comment

These are 18v lithiums right? For about the same money, maybe a little bit more, I'd opt for the Milwaukee 28v lithium tools instead.

Comment

It depends on what you are looking for. The LXT Makitas give you the power of 18volts but at the weight of the 12volt tools. these things are super light and have plenty of power.
        The 28v Milwaukees on the other hand weigh the same as the 18 volts but have the power of corded tools. I have had the chance to use both and would say you can't go wrong either way. If I was in the market for new tools I would probably go for the Makitas just for the weight factor. When you get old you can't hold theose heavy tools all day.
        Jeff

Comment

I have used both......I recently went to Home Depot and bought the Makita's due to the fact that it is so much lighter. The impact driver alone is 3.3 pounds. You cant even tell it is in your hands and it really packs a punch on power and run time. The batteries are made by Sony and they made lithium back in 91(sony). So they know batteries.....I didnt like the milwaukee due to the fact that it is still very heavy...I like the makita's cause it has the same power as a 18volt and much much lighter. The combo pack is 629.00 (5 pack) with a free recip saw. VS. 729.00 for a 4 pack and heavy as hell! I take the makita!

Comment

Unbelievable tools, just as much torque as the milwaukee drill. Saw is lighter and just as powerful. plus they are way lighter and a 100.00 dollars cheaper at depot. Not to mention free recip in January. this is a no brainer. Makita is back.

Comment

This new generation should much have better battery performance issues.
              Memory issues of plain Nickel cad days will in all likelyhood be bygones.
              Of course the new "generation" batteries will be expensive to repalce or add a couple.

Comment

Makita lithium batteries are only 99.00 dollars. Dewalt just announced 36 v lithium ion. how much will they weigh? 18 v is plenty of power

Comment

some of my buddies bought the milwaukee set and are ready to send them back nothing but trouble with the battries burning up, way to many $$ to replace

Comment

What about the clutch switch on the makita? Has anyone had problems with one?
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224:
                      What about the clutch switch on the makita? Has anyone had problems with one?
                      Not yet, hope not

Comment

i was curios since i meet a guy hat home depote and we started talking tools and he said that the little switch for drill to drive always breaks but it's a cheap part to replace.

I am still comparing tools but that put me off the makitas. Except there corded right angle drill. That was fun to use, smaller the the big red hole hawg and works just as good.
                        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by packers:
                          I have used both......I recently went to Home Depot and bought the Makita's due to the fact that it is so much lighter. The impact driver alone is 3.3 pounds. You cant even tell it is in your hands and it really packs a punch on power and run time. The batteries are made by Sony and they made lithium back in 91(sony). So they know batteries.....I didnt like the milwaukee due to the fact that it is still very heavy...I like the makita's cause it has the same power as a 18volt and much much lighter. The combo pack is 629.00 (5 pack) with a free recip saw. VS. 729.00 for a 4 pack and heavy as hell! I take the makita!
                          The weight issue with these new Lithium battery powered tools
                          are changing the way we may choose tools for the work we do
                          at home or on the job.

To compare the weight issue between the Makita 18 volt and Milwaukee's 28 volt is comparing apples and oranges.
                          Each one has it's purpose. More volts=More power= more weight.
                          Makita has nothing on Milwaukee in this department because we're talking about two different run time and power systems.
                          Now, if the Dewalt upcoming 36 Lithium volt system
                          weighs in at the 18 volt weight, Milwaukee will have competition.
                          On the 18 Lithium volt front, Makita is in the lead, But I can almost hear Bosch, Hilti, Milwaukee, Panasonic, Porter Cable, Ridgid and yes even Ryobi Lithium breathing in on the leader in the near future.

[ 11-22-2005, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: jaco ]

Comment

Absolutely,

Bosch has a 36v lithium system as well.Lithium is the big buzz word at the tool companies right now, this time next year every manufacturer will have lithium tools out. The lithium magnese tools are impressive but the next generation
                            lithium polymer tools will be far superior.

Comment

Working...
                            X