X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Bits For 12V Right Angle Impact Driver

Where do you find impact bits for this driver? The guy working my local Home Depot doesn't know the difference between impact drivers and regular drivers and I could not find any impact bits at the store.

Are you looking for bits to drive screws or nuts, or both?

I was at Sears the other day and bought a 2-pack of socket adapters for my Ridgid 12v right angle impact. The set is $2.99 and allows you to use any 1/4 or 3/8 socket with your driver. You'll be able to find screw bits there too.

socket adapters

Comment

George,

Funny you should ask, I was just looking for impact sockets for an air-operated impact driver that I got with my recent compressor purchase.

I see the 12V Ridgid impact driver, has a 1/4 "hex" collet... so I suppose with and adapter, you can use any kind of socket or bit with it. However, I've always been under the impression that conventional automotive-type sockets which are designed for use with a manual wrench, will NOT hold up with an impact driver.

In my search for 1/2" impact sockets, I found CH brand sockets at Walmart for a very reasonable price. Everywhere else that I looked (Sears, Grizzly, HD, Lowes, etc. the price is pretty hefty.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith:
        George,

...I see the 12V Ridgid impact driver, has a 1/4 "hex" collet... so I suppose with and adapter, you can use any kind of socket or bit with it. However, I've always been under the impression that conventional automotive-type sockets which are designed for use with a manual wrench, will NOT hold up with an impact driver...

WS
        You are right. I would not want to use conventional sockets and screw driver bits that are not hardened for impact use. And this tool's 1/4" collet is a problem. I can not find phillips, slotted, or square drive screw driver bits that are hardened for impact use. That yahoo working in the HD tool department the day I looked at the tool was stuck on the concept of "if it fits in the collet it works". Yeah! It might snap off at the shank too. I quickly reached a point where I just didn't give a crap about teaching him about the products he was selling.

I haven't seen any srewdriver bits that are stated as safe and suitable for impact use. What happens when the one bit that comes with the tool wears out?

Comment

George, try doing a Google search for "Impact Driver Screwdriver Bits". You'll find a number of sources for them.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
            ...try doing a Google search for "Impact Driver Screwdriver Bits". ...
            Try narrowing your search to those with 1/4" shanks that are hardened for impact use. Little more difficult to find. I have wasted enough time trying to find any US distributor or resaler for such bits. All I can find are 5/16" and 1/2" shanks.

Could this be why Ridgid is starting to offer the angle impact driver with the 12V drill for the price of either one alone? Trying to get rid of them because there aren't any suppliers of bits?

Comment

george, sockets are no problem. infact there are 1/4'' hex drivers up to 7/16'' on the shelf. beyond that it's easier to use a 1/4 hex x 3/8'' drive adapter and socket. as far as a true impact socket goes, i wouldn't worry too much about it. the torque in this tool is so little that by the time you destroy a good socket, you'll probably be on your next cordless tool. by the way i own this tool along with 5 other cordless impacts up to 1/2'' and 3 corded 1/2'' - 3/4'' drive. the electric ones i worry about the real impact sockets. 250- 350 foot pounds of torque.
              as far as a screwdriver bit goes. if you really want a true impact bit, then use a socket adapter with the bit holder for 5/16'' or 3/8'' to fit the screwdriver bit. an easy adapter can be found with the hand driven impact set. these are approx. $10. and come with the bits and socket to hold them. it will take up a little room for the socket and adapter but it's a trade off. the nice thing with an impact compared to a drill to drive screws, is it's less likely to round off the fastners than a drill motor will.
              the majority of my use is to drive lags into studs. still havn't replaced a socket. some of the hardened screws come with a bit when you purchase the box of screws.

rick.

Comment

You may be correct about not really needing "impact rated" screwdriver bits. The torque rating of 700 in-lbs translates to a little over 58 ft-lbs of torque. Heat treated bits may be sufficient.

Any Ridgid reps add anything to this topic?

Comment

Working...
                X