No announcement yet.

One LAST time on the 3650...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the Grizzly review also. Typical Grizzly - nice product and aggressive pricing. Some may state they prefer a difference fence - IMO it's looks to be a very good one but yet to see one in person. ShopFox has always had good fences.

To buy the lower priced one and add router insert and nice base cabinet underneath makes great deal of sense - one heck of unit for $500-$550 capable of doing nearly everything at that, especially if one adds those B-17 sized rails

No wonder they were back-ordered! Wonder if they still are. Bet it's well worth a wait

Comment

Just a thought, on another tangent----looking at UO's set-up and what Cranky describes----since I've had both the router in the ts wing and in a Norm-style cabinet----why not get the best of both worlds and build the cabinet as the outside right of the wing? I can tell you from experience, having dust collection for my router, not to mention bit drawers and accessory storage, is a real advantage---Just a thought on the subject.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
        Just a thought, on another tangent----looking at UO's set-up and what Cranky describes----since I've had both the router in the ts wing and in a Norm-style cabinet----why not get the best of both worlds and build the cabinet as the outside right of the wing? I can tell you from experience, having dust collection for my router, not to mention bit drawers and accessory storage, is a real advantage---Just a thought on the subject.
        I'm in same camp - it is nice provided you can move it around. In some ways it's almost real space saving too- you have to put all the stuff somewhere, everything is closer and handier, the drawers can be under wings and base cabinet(s)and can be accessed front-side-rear as one desires. Functional - solid - better dust collection can be incorporated - nice work table if needed - and dare I add nice to look at

Comment

Yes, it is very professional looking.

Believe me, having all your accessories right by your stationary tool is adicting. After I built my router table, I thought, why not do it to my drill press----built a small rolling cabinet that straddles the base of my floor drill press----all the different bit sets, dp vise, etc. fit right there where I need them.
          Dave

Comment

We somewhat shifted way OT but that's okay IMO at that
            It does do a nice job of consolidation. The DC can be made to be excellent on a contractor saw vs ho-hum at best.
            Don't forget to think using flip-top mobile units also if space really at premium. You can double up tools (not recommended for anything oiled-lubed tho. Ask me how I know ) - if made a bit higher than standard base you additionally can fit in a couple of drawers on bottom on open areas to sides for ROS's,drills and like. Imagine - having shops where we actually know where all is, it's close and handy, and dang it all - it looks nice and clean too. Maybe a new thread on ideas in different area more appropriate to discuss this all...........

KC - back to your original question now. I have not heard of anyone packing one back at that. So what did you decide to do???
            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Originally posted by UO_Woody:
              KC, for what it's worth. No matter if you spend $600 on the Ridgid, or $25,000 on a Euopean Combo machine. There is always going to be things you want to do to improve the saw to suit your needs. No one item is "THEE" perfect item for everyone. I don't own the saw you do, but an older model, 2424. If I cut both my hands off with it, you would have a hard time getting it away from me.

You do have one up on me with your saw, the T-type miter tracks. Big Plus for precission miter cuts and things like a tennoning jig. But, That's what I have the RAS for! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Just for example (I'll brag about the tool anyday!)

Well stated UO - now a question. What's that under the left wing below drawers? Looks like a collection bucket or? Curious - if it is did you just make open drop shute and avoid extra DC hookup? What did you use for tops - looks like a laminate of shorts - nice color contrast.

Nice looking set-up [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

He is my 2 cents about the 36" ripping capacity. I have the 3650 and the day I needed to rip down a sheet of ply I just loosened the bolts holding the rails on the saw and moved the rails out another couple of feet. I know some of you might not want to adjust your rails everytime you have to make a larger cut but it is an option. This is an easy option for me b/c I do not have a work shop. My saw is tucked away in my storage shed and in order to get the saw in and out the 30 inch door I need to remove the motor, and the fence rails. Takes a little more time but I am getting pretty good at it. Just wish I could convince the wife we need to move to a house with a 3 car garage.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the comments and pointers. I just got home Thursday and went to see the GI I have the heater on in the shop now -getting ready to set up my 3650. The GI was a nice saw but I liked the slots in the Ridgid table, easier to clamp to, the blade adjustment hand wheels seemed to be easier to get to and to read, and the ability to move the Ridgid around kind of made up my mind - along with the ole' one in the hand rule. Anyway, I'm off to the barn and hopefully have a good time setting this thing up. Lots of good tips and hints on doing it on this board too, sure am glad I found it. Oh and uo_woody - NICE setup - maybe one of these days.....

Comment

Congrats,

Glad you did your due diligence and made a good choice for you.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X