Orbital Sander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital Sander

I am thinking about buying the 6" orbital sander. I am a painter and would use it whenever I patch any drywall. Some say that if I sand the compound that I am voiding the warranty. Is this true?
    They also say that I can't sand the compound with that sander

Drywall dust is really fine and will likely erode the bearings and abrade the motor brushes which may be why they say it will void the warranty. The 6" is a bit heavey for vertical walls and will become hard to hold if you are doinf a ceiling. I prefer to use the fine grit sponges for finishing drywall, ROS is overkill

Comment

CB121,

I agree, using an ROS would, IMHO, be sort of a "shotgun" approach. I think you'd find yourself through the compound and into the board surface more often than not. Also, I agree that the compound dust would certainly prematurely wear out the sander as it infiltrated the bearings, etc.

Personally, I wet sponge the joints on the first pass to get off any really rough areas and then use a sanding sponge after that. If you insisted on using a power sander, I'd suggest using an old or, at least inexpensive, finishing sander. I have a Ryobi Corner Cat which would work quite well and would even fit into tight corners, etc. It only costs about $30. Depending on how much you use it, I'd also expect to have to replace it every year or so and just forget about the warranty! If you do a lot of drywall, a $30 throw-away shouldn't gouge you too much.

Just an opinion,

CWS

Comment

I’ve done a lot of drywall patching in my house. When I need to sand an area I remove the collection bag from my Ryobi sander and attach the hose from my dry vac (with six foot extension). I turn them both on and sand the areas. I must admit it gets very noisy, but the dust problem is almost eliminated.

Comment

Working...
        X