X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BATTERYS GONE WITH THE DRILL!

I got my 4pc combo kit 22/02/04 so almost a year ago, im working on the cons. site so i was using my drill when the trigger just stucked and i had to remove the battery, after that i put the battery back nothing happend! So i went to get my 2nd fully charged battery puttit on the drill and NOTHING!! I put the batterys back to the charger Nothing!! Not charging the batterys! SO i said maybe the batterys.. oh well! I went to home depot get a new battery for 150$ CAN, put it in the charger, everything is fine charging!
    when it charged fully i used it with the saw, after that i put the battery into the drill nothing!!! Take the batt. out putit back to the saw NOTHING, then into the charger NOTHING!
    So i guess my drill just toasted 3 batterys!
    I'm wondering if i go back to HD you guys think they gonna replace the drill and my batterys??? I still got the bill.

No, they won't replace your drill and batteries. You need to take the drill and the batteries to an authorized Ridgid Service Center and have the drill repaired under the 3 year warranty coverage. If the drill did indeed toast your batteries then I suspect they also would be replaced under warranty.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good Luck. I toasted 6 Milwaukee bats (same manufacturer now) with a bad charger, at $85 each. NO WARRANTY. The home office explanation, It worked before it quit. Therefore the failure is wear related and not covered by the (1 year) warranty. Same goes for the bad charger(5 year warranty). Since it had worked prior to its failure, it's wear related and not covered. Same thing with trigger switch on drill that failed within 6 weeks of purchase. Wear related.

Next time I'll buy Bosc.

Comment

this is very interesting to me.I bought the 4PC ridgid kit and no wear on any of the 4 operator's manual's could I find any thing about the 3 year warranty for the battery. Then I looked in the manual they sent me with my jig saw rebait deal and this what this manual says....(What is covered under the 3 year limited sevice warranty)
        This warranty on RIDGID hand held and stationary power tools covers all defects in workmanship or materials and normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, cords, gears and even cordless batteries in this RIDGID tool for three years following the purchase date of the tool. Warranties for other RIDGID products may vary.. I would like a explanation from RIDGID from this one!!!Check your manual's folk's you'll see.

Be safe out there.

bob
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Be safe out there folks
        Bob B
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Well, i'll take my drill back to HD Monday with the batteries! But what i think is my drill caused the problem, and that problem is under warranty, then they shoud repair my drill and replace my batteries to, because the drill short my batteries.

Comment

I have the proof of purchase but the serial numbers on the drill faded away! You think that's gonna be a problem???

Comment

You should not have a problem the drills have not been on the market for three years so your drill therefore must be less than 3 years old. I have heard of this happening from a few posts in this form. The drill shorts out at the switch so when you put in a new battery is blows the fusable link in the battery to prevent melting the drill. The battery is fine it just needs a new fuse which should be covered as well

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

badgerdave is right being the tool is 90 days over purchase. If your under you might get lucky! way back I had a dewalt befor it got stolen, but any way. I had a proulbm with this tool and brought it in with the battery to a service center befor the year was up he helped and knew I was sincere. he did look at that battery # and said he would fix it.
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                  Be safe out there folks
                  Bob B
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by MTOMMY79:
                    Well, i'll take my drill back to HD Monday with the batteries! But what i think is my drill caused the problem, and that problem is under warranty, then they shoud repair my drill and replace my batteries to, because the drill short my batteries.
                    I don't know about the Home Depots in Canada but the ones in the States do not repair tools. Considering the fact that your drill was purchased a year ago, there is little that HD can do for you. As I stated earlier, you need to take your problem to a Ridgid service center. I'd hate to see you waste your time trying to get HD to repair your drill.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Well, the thing is i don't think is there any Ridgid service center in CANADA(TORONO). So i think maybe HD will send the drill somewhere.

Comment

I certainly have no idea about the Canadian operations of HD, but here in the U.S., the policy regarding HD's ability or willingness to handle service problems seems to vary from store to store. There are two things that I know for sure:

1. Ridgid has a 90-day "satisfaction guarantee" which means you can return the tool to HD within 90-days for a full refund, no questions asked.

2. Ridgid has a 3-year warranty and it covers just about everything, including batteries. It does NOT cover abuse. That warranty is Ridgid's and not Home Depot's and it is for the repair or replacement of the tool at Ridgid's option. It is up to the buyer to return it to an authorized Ridgid service center. However, some HD stores do handle those claims I've been told. My local store here in Corning has told me they will do that, but I don't think I want to "take that to the bank," so to speak.

With regard to the earlier post about the so-called "wear-related" excuse; that has been mentioned in past forums and I've discussed it with both Home Depot and Ridgid customer service and neither seems to recognize the validity of that excuse. While "abuse" of the tool will not be accepted under warranty, the fact remains that any electro-mechanical device is subject to defects coming into play during operation. While all manufacturers make some attempt to increase the reliability of thier products, there simply will be times that a component or assembly may fail. Hopefully that will be rare, but then that is why warranties are provided.

So, the reasoning (or excuse) that because it ran a minute ago and now doesn't, so its "wear related", just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. The warranty clearly gives the buyer some legal rights and that "wear related" kind of reasoning really won't pass muster in any legal sense, and I'd never accept that from any service person who offered such an excuse for not taking care of a product under warranty.

In this particular case, I would think that your drill should be taken care of without question and that your batteries would follow suit. The only problem may be how long it may take for the tool to be returned to you. As often reported in these forums, parts availibility seems to be an ongoing problem.

Hope this helps,

CWS

[ 02-05-2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

I called my HD, they said the only thing what they can do is send it to the US(??) to repair under warranty most likely! But that's gonna take a couple of months as a lady said!!! Well i don't think i have different solution, so i'll just take it to HD Monday. But i guess i have to buy a new drill because i need one! Anyway im kinda suprise RIDGID not have service centre in Canada, but HD is full with their stuff!Weird!
                          Well thanks for the answers, i'll lets you guys now what was in HD Monday!

Comment

There are sevice centers all over Ontario. If they fix Ryobi they fix Ridgid, call 1-866-539-1710 and they will give you a servicer near you. HD will take the tool and ship it but that will just add to the repair time. If you drop it off at a service center you then have a direct contact

Comment

Thanks for the number i called them, and they give me the address where i can take my drill and the batteries, they also told me everything is under warranty, they got a couple of complains about the same problem! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X