X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita battery replacement

I have two old Makita batteries, the 9.6v model 9000 and the 12v model 1210. These are several years old and beginning to expire . The last time I needed to replace them, I decided to just go ahead and buy another drill set with two new batteries as the batteries themselves were near as expensive as the whole setup.

Now, I want to replace the battery elements themselves by soldering new elements in or find someone who can replace them at a reasonable cost.

Any of you folks done this yourself or had this done ?

Thanks,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks Bob D. and BobC.

[ 01-08-2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

I have not done this on cordless power tools, but I have replaced NiCad cells in portable radios with removable battery packs, which is pretty much the same. The biggest problem is opening the case without damaging it I think. You also have to be careful of these newer battery packs as they have a thermistor or other sensor mounted in with the cells that monitors the temperature of the cells as they charge. Soldering can be tricky, you don't want to use your 100w soldering gun, too muuch heat which could damage the cells or worse they explode.

For some general battery information, click here.

Here is a web page with some info and background on replacing NiCads in portable radios which may be of help and give you an idea of what you are up against. http://www.eham.net/articles/2301

Comment

You might look into voltmanbatteries.com. They list some Makita batteries they don't rebuild. Worth a look to see if they can rebuild yours.

Comment

I have had Voltman rebuild batteries for me they are a first rate operation.

DO NOT REPLACE BATTERIES YOURSELF. TWO EXPERIENCED ELECTRICIAN FRIENDS OF MINE HAVE BEEN HURT BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY.

[ 01-08-2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Prior to replacing your batteries, open up your charger and resolder all the grounds. actually it wont take long to resolder everything.....but the grounds aremost important. makita made a terrible charger years ago. i dont know how old yours is, but before replacing withnew batteries...check the charger!
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
          X