Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw

Need some advise on table saws. Looking to purchase one mainly to be used for hobby. What we be a good saw to buy that is reasonably priced?

Not enough info to respond to your post. Table saws range from 100 dollars to 2,000 dollars and Hobby doesn't explain enough. Rough carpentry. Finish carpentry around the house. Making toys out of pine wood. etc etc etc. What will you be doing today and what do you plan to do in the forseeable future.

Jake

Comment

Right now making outdoor projects such as swing, arbor, treless. Have made 1 piece of furniture and plan on making more in the future. Would like to stay below $400.00 if possible. Thanks.

Comment

zbar
        I would not go in lower than the Ridgid 3650 @$599. If you have the cash and do not mind spending it I would go higher. The table saw is the heart of a shop.
        SCWood

[ 01-09-2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: SCWood ]

Comment

Zb - if the $600 range is steep I'd sure look to used equipment. Good or great used stuff is out there - just more often than not it's not there if one needs that day [img]smile.gif[/img]

If no rush do some searching.........
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

For $300 Ryobi has a BT-3100 that is versatile with lots of attachments. Lots of folks love the versatility, some like me are concerned with it's lightweight construction, but at this price range you don't get a loaded Lexus.

Delta has the TS300 in the same price range. More cast iron, less "stuff", but a decent smallish saw.

Grizzly has a promising new contractor saw with a cast iron table, Biesemeyer type fence, and steel wings for $435 plus $75 s/h....G-0444.

Craftsman has a contractor saw that often goes on sale for $449. Not my favorite saw, but it should spin a blade.

The Ridgid 3650 is a good deal if you can get it on sale...heard some stories of 30% off ($430).

If you can find a good used contractor saw, you'd be all set.

A good TS is an important and fairly expensive purchase so don't jump in until you understand the different designs and features. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky:
              hewood ---- you probably already saw it but in case you missed on woodnet_____ the first Grizz's are being shipped. Someone said they to be receiving late next week, someone else the 21st I believe.
              If I was in no rush I'd sure wait until some have done some slicing on these and posted impressions of 'em. The more I look at the pix and web site___assuming the fence is as solid as what I'd think they'd use___I think they may have hit a sweet spot in pricing and such. Time will tell but I'd never discount Grizz on anything.
              Hmmmm - I always forget about that Ryobi. Some really like them very much. Admit I have always just walked by them and not even peeked.
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Originally posted by zbar:
                Need some advise on table saws. Looking to purchase one mainly to be used for hobby. What we be a good saw to buy that is reasonably priced?
                Bosch 4000

Comment

I have both the ts3650 and the Ryobi BT3000. I think for the price class they are good buys. I like the ryobi for the smt and it is very smooth but is better for smaller work. I have it on a Ridgid portable stand.

Comment

zbar - did you ever make a move and buy one? If so what if I may ask. Thanks

Comment

I have heard a couple people talk about that RYOBI 3100. It's almost a coltlike following.. lol

I look at it whenever I'm at Home Depot out of curiosity what the buzz is. I'm sure it's o.k. for small projects like jewelery boxes and maybe clocks, but from tinkering with it at the store, I can't imagine it being much good for breaking down sheet goods to accruate rips and I have read owners that are quite happy with them admitting they have to align everything pretty meticulously when they move sliding table. I prefer set and zip ripping. If you can stretch I agree with most of whats above. 600 bucks is a good entryway into a servicable saw that you can grow into. Get a tablesaw book < Kelly Mehler's or Duginkse are good ones > and go to local woodworkign stores if you have them. Hard to guage qualit tools when you look at them in Home Depot set up sloppily.

Jake

Comment

ChipMaker I am going to keep using my C.S. with straight edge and clamps, save my money and get something latter. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by zbar:
                          ChipMaker I am going to keep using my C.S. with straight edge and clamps, save my money and get something latter. Thanks for asking.
                          Very smart move IMO.
                          Amazing just how much one can really get done with a true edge and a circular with decent blade. I'd say it is the most unappreciated and under-rated tool many own.
                          When you make a move let me know.

psssssss-keep eyes open to a fire sale on used one. They out there - just seldom when we desire one. In your case it might end up being a major gloat......"look what I got for almost nothing". It happens often....to others and unfortunatly not me

[ 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: ChipMaker ]

Comment

I agree. I would still continue to poke around to find the saw you like when you are working with your circular saw. You'll find eventually somewhere it'll come down in price for a short while and you may want to jump then. It took me about 5 months of poking around til I picked out my saw then waited another 3 weeks for my saw to be at the right price when I saw an annual 10 % off open house at local dealer.

You'll appreciate your new saw more by doing it this way too.. lol. Don't let the frustration deter you from playing with wood though. It's quite enjoyable and relaxing.

Jake

Comment

I went to HD today to buy the Ridgid contractors table saw. In the display are was a guy wearing a Ryobi shirt and he was setting up a TS3650. The guy was a great help, he even got the ASM to give me a 10% coupon for my new saw. Any way, I asked him the obvious question...."you work for Ryobi yet you are setting up a Ridgid" Who ownes Who?? His answer.."Ryobi ownes Ridgid. BUT they are to separet entities. No cross over products.

By the way, I love my new table saw

Comment

Working...
                              X