X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular Saw for Weekend Warrior

I'm looking for a circular saw that will see semi-regular work on my projects as well as friends' projects. I do not make a living at this and don’t need (but would still love) contractor grade tools. I’ve kinda hedged and figured that the middle ground may be the right choice for me. I’m looking at the Hitachi C7SB2 & Makita 5007NBKX1 (both around $90). If I were convinced that $120 models below wouldn’t be 100 times more tool than I’d need I’d go with either the PC 743K or the R3200.

Any thoughts?

I've had my eye on that PC 743K for a long time now. I've got an older Skil, and I don't really use a circular saw that often, but that blade-left PC tempts me. I've had extremely good luck with PC tools in general, and I don't hesitate to recommend them. Figure it this way- you'll pay $120 v. $90, but the result will be a saw that will probably last forever. That's my two cents, anyway!

Comment

I've had the Milwaukee Tilt-Lok for over 4 years and LOVE it. Plenty of power and that adjustable handle is great for awkward cutting positions.

I really like the forward grip and it has a nice "sight window", I call it, that makes it easy to see the cut line from either side of the saw.

But I do like the features on the Ridgid corded circular saw and I haven't heard anything bad about it. I would give it some consideration too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I know $30 more isn't "that much" more. Were I using it for a living I wouldn't even think twice about $30. I just feel like I'm being too self-indulgent buying tools like R3200 or the Tilt-Lok. I just have to wonder if that $30 wouldn't be better applied towards a jig saw when I run accross a project that needs one.

I wish Ridgid still had their lifetime warrantee. I'd buy one just for that.

[ 03-09-2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: LowRent ]

Comment

I have not had a chance to get my hands on one of these yet but it would be on my short list:

http://portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4935

The tool-less blade change appears to be a sweet feature. Just for the record, I also have the Milwaukee Tilt-Lock and really enjoy it and have absolutely no regrets purchasing it.

Good luck with your search.

Woodslayer

Comment

If you lean toward the Hitachi I would look at the next model up which has a brake. Sorry, I don't remember the model number, but Amazon has it for $100. A brake is a very worthy feature that may save you serious injury or at least a few power cords (they do have an affinity for circular saw blades). I used to prefer the Hitachi circular saw until they dropped the nickel plated base on the new models. I don't like aluminum because it doesn't glide well over wood and can leave marks. Magnesium or steel is better. Still, a $100 saw with a brake is very tempting. I may buy one anyway so I can reserve the old nickel plated saw for cutting finished goods.

[ 03-09-2004, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: ByteButcher ]

Comment

I understand LowRent. I just knew that I was going to have a LOT of home improvement projects on the formerly neglected home I purchased so I bought what I thought was the best at the time.
              It's a tool that will last someone like you and I a lifetime unlike tools that you would find at a Wal-Mart or something.

I had no idea what type of cutting I would get into so I didn't want the situation to arrive where I didn't have the power to do the job and I certainly didn't want a much cheaper tool to crap out on me in the middle of a job even though I wasn't a professional but just an advanced home improvement guy.

Think hard about the types of things you think that you want to do and MIGHT want to do down the road and weigh your options against your budget.

Comment

Working...
              X