4511 TS motor unable to turn shaft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 TS motor unable to turn shaft.

This last weekend while ripping 3/4" cedar my TS motor stopped turning the blade. You could hear the motor trying to turn but it seamed like it was binding up. I cleaned the saw and found nothing. The belt seems fine and tries to turn the pulley. I could manually turn the blade but it was real tight and it felt like it a bad bearing in the blade arbor. I had some fine oil for my router bearings and was able to apply some to the outside of the arbor bearing. It started working again but it reminded me of a old dried out wheel bearing. Does this sound right and has anyone else had this problem. I did register the TS when I bought it so I have the limited life time warranty but dang that thing is heavy and I really do not want to drag it into a service center.
    Charles

I'd try to isolate the source. Unplug the motor, and remove the belt and blade. If the motor spins freely, that's not the source. If the arbor flange is still hard to spin with the belt/blade removed, it's definitely something with the arbor....if you don't see any debris bound up in it, it's likely a bearing. Bearings are usually pretty cheap, and not overly difficult to remove if you're mechanically inclined and have the right tools. Every saw is a little different, but you should be able to Google arbor bearing removal, take off the bearings and find a direct replacement/upgrade without needing to go through the service center.

Comment

I took it into a local Ridgid repair shop and the told me it was the bearings. They also told me that the life time warranty was not valid for bearings. I had only done 4 projects with this saw and keep it really clean. I told them to put some good USA made bearings in it (about 3 times the cheap axx imported) and it is good to go. Who would think bearings are in the same class a blades or belts for warranty.
      Charles

Comment

• Big G
        Big G commented
        Editing a comment
        Was your saw in the range of those that a recall of the shaft applied to (like mine). Got them to come to my shop for the warranty work so didn't have to haul the 452lb monster to the repair shop.
        Big G

Nope, I checked it before I bought it. By the way, this saw really likes running on 220v better than 110v.
      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by NW Diver View Post
        I took it into a local Ridgid repair shop and the told me it was the bearings. They also told me that the life time warranty was not valid for bearings. I had only done 4 projects with this saw and keep it really clean. I told them to put some good USA made bearings in it (about 3 times the cheap axx imported) and it is good to go. Who would think bearings are in the same class a blades or belts for warranty.
        So what exactly is covered by the warranty? The paint?

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          I'd try to isolate the source. Unplug the motor, and remove the belt and blade. If the motor spins freely, that's not the source.
          incorrect. if the bearing is failing or bad it can bind up under a heated condition or immediately once put under strain by the magnetic load on the armature.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding. The bearings that were bad were the two on the blade shaft not the motor. It may appear that by closing off the dust collection port I created a case of the saw dust swirling around inside and since the cheap axx china bearings are not sealed they failed. I replaced them with American sealed bearings and opened the dust port.
            Charles

Comment

I am not sure what is covered under the warrenty now. They could say that the motor wore out just from use or the switch is not covered because I used it. Who knows if anything is covered. I do know that the next TS will be a lot better American made one. Don't get me wrong, this is a good TS for its price (even though I paid full retail for it) but I am willing to next time pay several thousand for a real cabinet saw.
              Charles

Comment

Working...
              X