Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the difference between worm drive and direct drive circular saws?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between worm drive and direct drive circular saws?

Iknow theres is a difference but, why would one like the worm better than the direct drive where the blade is on the right side?

I kind of answered this in my other reply. First off, I for one like my blade on the left. I am right handed and hold the saw obviously with my right hand, i used to hate leaning over to follow my mark.

Weight is another reason some opt for them. Especially the old skils that were all metal. Yes they are heavier than a traditional saw but that added weight keeps the saw down. the added weight does help with streighter cuts.

What a worm drive is, is just that. all metal worm gear. essentially a small round cylinder gear is what drives the blade. they are more powerful than the conventional circular saw. you plug it in and give her a little squeeze to make sure you have juice and that saw kicks! This comes in handy when cutting wet wood, pressure treated, etc.

A lot of people don't like them because of the weight. I think that is why skil came out with the 6 3/4"? years ago. it is lighter than the 7 1/4 or 8 1/2 but still has a heck of a lot of power. It is a bit lighter and you can cut 2X material with it no problem.

Hope this helps. I don't believe you will find one with the blade on the right.

I would also check local pawn shops. You can usually pick up an old skil CHEAP and they last forever! the newer ones have some plastic on them. If you want an old fashioned worm gear hit the pawn shops and check ebay! you will not be dissapointed.

Good luck
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
    X