X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R7100 2 Speed Corded Drill Question

Can the R7100 be used for mixing up a new 5 gallon bucket of joint compound (sheetrock mud)without burning up the motor? If so, should it be used on speed setting 1 (slow) or 2 (fast)? The owners manual says it can be used for mixing paint, but it doesn't mention any thicker substances such as joint compound.

With its 9amp motor I would think it could do this without too much stress on the motor. Also, the gears are steel, which is a plus, and not plastic like some other drills. Not sure about the speed setting though. Probably a trial and error thing.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That drill is not made to do that... you will probally burn out the motor...not mention by doing so you will probally viod the warrenty. The 1/2 spade handle drill is what you need...however if you want to use your drill do it on the slowest setting...the slower you go the more torque you get and you will need all the torque you can get

Comment

That drill is not made to do that... you will probally burn out the motor...not mention by doing so you will probally viod the warrenty. The 1/2 spade handle drill is what you need...however if you want to use your drill do it on the slowest setting...the slower you go the more torque you get and you will need all the torque you can get

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have not yet tried this drill mixing mud yet because I was fearful of burning out the motor, hence my post. Seems Bo_hamrick is correct in that the R7120 Spade handle drill is more designed for that with it triple gear reduction, high torque and low rpm's. I have already bought the 7100, though, but now may return it and exchange it for something else...
          Any recommendations? I am not in the construction business, just an average do it yourselfer who prefers above average tools. My tools see frequent use, but definately not everyday use. I am looking for a 1/2" corded drill that will be used primarily for drilling 1" and smaller diameter holes through 2x oak, pine and spruce; and also for mixing up drywall mud without burning up the motor. I am not hooked on any one brand, and any suggestions wold be most welcome.

Comment

Jay..you don't have to return it..I just read the specs on that drill....it should easily mix cement...duel reduction gearing easily will do this...with no problem in 5 gallon bucket...I do this with a Milwaukee Magnum(with less power 5AMP)...and sometimes the 18vlt Ridgid Hammer-drill...I suggest not...but the hammer drill has the required torque...set any drill to the highest torque but lower speed...thats why the bulkier drills have much less speed but more torque to bore through material..

You don't need to buy yet another tool unless you mix cement all the time(I don't think you do)...The 7100 has 9AMPs wich is POWER..I MEAN POWER...it also has a major advantage an AUTOMATIC SAFETY CLUTCH which means it won't tear your arm off when mixing cement...
            helps protect operator against sudden kickback if the bit accidentally jams....If you think its too fast then exchange for 7120 which 7.5AMPS much slower but more torque...it may be more comfortable..but for a homeowner like you I would stick to the versatility high and moderate speed and save the drive to HD and keep the drill...

All you homeowner guys have more tools than the pros! I make my living with tools....mixing 10-20 gallons a week with a 5Amp drill!

[ 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Well. Nobody lives on the edge around here.

I've used a similar drill for over 10 years to mix drywall mud.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a low setting. If you mix on high you'll just mix a lot of air into the mud anyway.

I like an 'egg beater' style mixer.

Shoot..........the 18V cordless will mix drywall mud all day on the low setting.

It is good to start with the premix and thin it a little. I don't care to work with powdered mud.

edit-I guess it's just Bo that's a chicken

[ 02-11-2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: rofl ]

Comment

I do the same with dry-wall rofl...the drill can handle it....

Comment

Thanks for the posts everybody. I have decided to keep it. Even though the spade drill is better suited, I too do believe it will handle it easily in slow gear. I really do like this drill. It is VERY powerful and also has one of the nicest cases I've seen in a while. I like the seperate covered compartment inside the case to hold the bits in without them falling all over the place inside the case. I too prefer the egg beater style mixer and often pour in water to cream up the compound when mixing. The consistency of the compound makes a huge difference when spreading. Again, thanks for all the input on the drill, I believe it's a definate keeper. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Jaybird....I remember your other post R5010 hammer drill...in regards to quality and I have about 3K invested in power tools (Makita, DeWalt, PC, Milwaukee, Bosch, Hitachi)....I think Ridgid is good comparably....if you notice alot of naysayers are no longer around due to the warrantee period being over(I think they were customers got picked off by Ridgid)....alot of manufactures reps from other companies have been relentless about Ridgid problems which I think are patently false....every new tool has problems but not with the technology or forums to keep people in check....I bought due to warranty...but any person should buy a product due to comfort or utility...all contractor brands make decent quality tools for the homeowner.....

Comment

I use the "plus 3" mud whenever I can(blue box at Lowes and/or Home Depot). 32oz of water makes it perfect for taping, floating, and the hand textures I do. More thinning for sprayed textures.

I think Paul and I have similar backgrounds and look for similar features in tools.

Either that or he's almost as smart as I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X