Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call for help

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how to start this except that I really hope someone from Ridgid will see this and can help.

Over the past year or so I've been trying to put together a small woodworking shop so that I can make things for my family and maybe later on even make a little extra income for us. Wood working has been in my family for a long time, when I was a kid I built and restored furniture with my Uncle for our family business, sadly those days are long gone but it is something that is in my blood and something I am passionate about. Woodworking is dieing and I'd like to keep it going strong at least in my family.

I'm not a rich man and can't afford exxpensive equipment, the last really integral piece of my shop which was missing is a decent planer, I couldn't afford a new one but I knew I wanted to go with Ridgid as you guys make good quality tools that are less expensive to maintain then other brands such as Dewalt.

I found one of your thickness planers used from a guy out of town, he said it worked great and was barely used, said it had new knives with it and it was supposed to be the 3 knife model. When we got there he has it all ready to go, it was cleaned up so nice that you would swear it was fresh out of the box. The guy and his wife started talking our ears off about conspiracy theory stuff and nazis and all sorts of bizarre nonsense so we just wanted to get out of there. He has the cutter head set really low on it so I couldn't see the table, I brought a small peice of wood to run through it to make sure it worked, I ran it through and there was a bit of snipe but wanting to get out of there I figured it was probably just the infeed and outfeed tables needing adjustment.

So I got it home and inspected it closely, this thing has been used and abused, the table is all dented and curled up at the end, the rollers are a mess, it looks like they just rammed wood through it and ran it with really dull knives. The knives that came with it (both sets) were so dull that the edge is listerally round, I can't imagine the amounts of stress this machine must have been put under and honest I'm amazed it even still runs. To add insult to injury it turns out its a TP13002 which is a 2 knife cutter head and not 3.

So I attempted to contact him about it and telling him of the issues that I found the very next day, he said I broke it and threatened to call the police because I was "cyber bulling" him and that was blocking my email, yea - wow.

Now I know this is partially my fault, I should have looked it over better but it just looked so good and we didn't want to spend much more time there as they were really creeping us out.

But now I'm stuck with a planer I can't use and we simply cannot afford another one, I'm really stuck.

I tried to contact Ridgid customer service about this but they flat out refused to help in any way, they wouldn't even provide me with any contact information for the office of the president less a mailing address for a customer service department.

If anyone from Ridgid is reading this please can you help or pass this along to someone who can?

Thank you kindly for taking the time to read this.

"Caveat emptor"
    Sorry, bro, but I don't see Ridgid having a dog in this hunt.
    Truth is, you been had.

Comment

I honestly don't see how or why you believe Ridgid has any obligation or responsibility whatsoever.
      But it sucks you got ripped off.
      If you want a Ridgid planer but can't afford a new one, Google search for factory recons. Here, there are more than a few distributors of recons. Up there, I haven't a clue.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I know I got ripped off, I'm just hoping Ridgid is decent enough to help, if someone got taken on one of my products and needed help I would help them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave33 View Post
          ... I'm just hoping Ridgid is decent enough to help...
          Ridgid didn't sell you a planer. If Ridgid sold you a worn out planer, I'd understand your concern. But no.

Comment

While Ridgid is the manufacturer, they are not the owner of that planer
            and that is who you have the problem with.
            They knew what they were selling you, even if you did not.
            Raise hell with them.

Comment

I know Ridgid has no obligation to help me but there are still good people out there that are willing to help someone who got screwed especially when it's on one of their products. I'm not asking them to do anything I wouldn't do for one of my customers.

The guy that sold it to me is obviously mentally ill and I don't see any reasoning with him, short of getting into a fight there's nothing to be gained from confronting him.
              Last edited by Dave33; 06-05-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Big Jim
                Big Jim commented
                Editing a comment
                If you kick his butt you gain satisfaction.
                Exactly what is it that you want Ridgid to do?

Satisfying it would certainly be, but the jail time less so lol

I was hoping they could help me get this one fixed or help me get a new one, this the only way I have to contribute to my family.

Comment

I don't know about Ontario, but here in the States, most counties have Magistrate's Court - small claims court- no lawyers, very little cost. Most often, just being served with a court subpoena is enough to get the slimeball to make good. You might see if there's such a thing up there. I wouldn't wager on assistance from Ridgid. They didn't even make the planer, they just licensed their name to be put on it as a Home Depot exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave33 View Post
                  Hi Everyone,

So I got it home and inspected it closely, this thing has been used and abused, the table is all dented and curled up at the end, the rollers are a mess, it looks like they just rammed wood through it and ran it with really dull knives. The knives that came with it (both sets) were so dull that the edge is listerally round, I can't imagine the amounts of stress this machine must have been put under and honest I'm amazed it even still runs. To add insult to injury it turns out its a TP13002 which is a 2 knife cutter head and not 3.

at this point it appears you have little to loose,

(first I do not have a bench top planer), mine is a old Belsaw a good planer.

but I would guess one could disassemble it and either replace the rollers or clean them up or work on them. the same with tables, taking off the tables and laying them out on some thing flat and heavy one may be able to "un-ding them" much like a body shop does with a car panel, some times shipping can help to depending on what he problem is ,

I have a old Belsaw, and one of there recommendations on some process is to use a ply wood auxiliary table bolted to the cast/steel wings on the table, seal it and wax it,

all one needs to do is run some painted wood to dull up the knives or old dirty wood, and some hard woods will fry a set of blades in a hurry as well,

keep an eye out on eBay you may be able to find a parts machine for not much money,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~as far as building a shop, looking in to older "industrial tools" can be some real jewels if some elbow grease is used on them, (as long there is not broken parts, and at times finding a small machine shop that does repairs can be a real help for making parts that are no longer avaible through normal sources,

I have a metal lathe that is most likely a 1860's yes EIGHTEEN SIXTIES, about 28" swing and 7 foot bed.my table saw is a old walker turner, late 1940's,

yes I would love to get a Delta unisaw. but the old walker turner is not bad, a 1950 jointer, and 1936 Seneca 13" metal lathe, and a hand full of self built wood working tools,

there are three phase converters as well that one can use three phase on single phase power,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD gave you the best advice in my opinion, take it apart and try to repair and replace what you can. You are not alone in buying something in haste and not checking it out thoroughly. Sometimes these small painful lessons prevent much worse ones down the road. Now is not the time for revenge out side of legal action which may not be an option for you. Sorry you are in a bad spot but doubt you will get saved by the folks at Ridgid. Try not to let this eat at you, learn from it and move on.

Comment

Ereplacements.com prob has parts, see what part numbers are and then check eBay and amazon for best price. Also check shipping on all, sometimes it's ridiculous

Comment

• Plumber Punky
                        Plumber Punky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        cheap pricing on parts gets you the higher rating on google shopping when sorting lowest to highest, then they nail you on shipping to make up for it.

Thanks for the replies guys, parts for this are provind difficult to find as they no longer make them and being in Canada I get really bad shipping rates + duties and taxes. If I knew someone with a metal working shop I could maybe get them to fashion a new table for it out of slightly tougher steel but sadly I dont know anyone nor do I have the equipment to work steel myself.

Comment

post some pictures of the problems may some one can talk you though some help on how to work on them,

on some things some times one needs very little
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Partially your fault? The whole thing is your fault. Stupidity should be painful or expensive.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X