X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better forget about getting the side panels

I called on Friday since Tech/CS did not call me back after they said they would. I hate that, when I was told for sure they would call me on Monday with the date as to when they would ship the side panels for the TS3650, to be informed that they are not providing a fix to the stand and are not changing it.
    I had thought that CS was improving but here it is. The rep I talked to on Friday sounded discouraged, and was sorry he could not do anything even though the "design people are aware of the problem." They have no plans to add to the saw. They may redesign the whole stand. I told him my JP610 has metal that is thinner but stiffer than the 3650.(0.70" compared to 0.90"). I think the steel quality may be the problem.
    I will be adding the panels myself(plywood), something I think that Ridgid should provide.
    They will not be orange!

Yeah... When putting my table together last night, I was a little leary of how the legs attatch to the base of the saw. I'm not leaving it like that for sure. Well, acutally overime I am going to build a cabinet for it to sit on.... I know I know, why didn't I just buy a damn cabinet saw right? Because as I mentioned, I want something to build and I want to be able to say, "Hey I built that, no really, I did.... Stop laughing, ***."

Comment

Andrew----amazing---when the issue came up, I looked at the new picture of the saw and sure enough, there were the panels---obviously, someone got over-ruled.

I built similar panels form my saw (but there were more for hanging tools than stiffening the legs (though, it probably helped). Made them from tempered hardboard, with 3/4" square stock, along the back of the edges, for stiffeners. Either way would work.
      Dave

Comment

Hey moon.

I learned something funny at a woodworking show couple months. You dont' know it but every woodworker follows a path of projects that is almost funny.
        First project = workbench
        2nd project = Place for tools / accessories / etc
        3rd projects = adirondack chairs
        Them move onto things we will allow others to see.. LOL

Funniest thing to me was that the guy said this and it was exact order I had my projects either done or lined up.

Got a kick out of it.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by m00n:
          Yeah... When putting my table together last night, I was a little leary of how the legs attatch to the base of the saw. I'm not leaving it like that for sure. Well, acutally overime I am going to build a cabinet for it to sit on.... I know I know, why didn't I just buy a damn cabinet saw right? Because as I mentioned, I want something to build and I want to be able to say, "Hey I built that, no really, I did.... Stop laughing, ***."
          m00n-
          As I've stated many times we toss tons of ply on them and it's non-issue. But - if it seems to be or something you are concerned with, worried about or whatever---rather than do a mod to the dang things I really would take it back and get the General. PITA to lug back but I honestly would. They'll take it back full of dust even and partially assembled.
          The worts thing IMO you can do is ever second guess your decision. Just don't put yourself in that position is what I recommend..........
          Over on woodnet there's a full blown thread on someone who bought a General and for whatever reason they made a big ol' cabinet base and mounted it down that ---- if you really bent of keeping this one you have that is ---- that may be something to incorporate. To me the benefites of something like this are superb for many reasons and always wonder why more don't implement into shops on all contractor saws.

I was unaware you were buying a ts so soon until your post last night saying you'd pulled the trigger - so you never did have chance or opportunity to actually see and play with a General, right?

Think this one through more if second thoughts - they real good on CS and returns

I've got a new thread that'll be put up soon as I get done on this - may be adding a toy myself to shop as huge job/project was done today
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky, the reason I pulled the trigger was because I could not go another week of, as someone else called it, "analysis paralysas". No way I am trading it in for the General I. No reason to. I like this saw alot. I just want it to be sitting on a cabinet is all. It won't happen anytime too soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by m00n:
              Cranky, the reason I pulled the trigger was because I could not go another week of, as someone else called it, "analysis paralysas". No way I am trading it in for the General I. No reason to. I like this saw alot. I just want it to be sitting on a cabinet is all. It won't happen anytime too soon though.
              Coool ---- have you done any cutting yet? How was your set-up? Never forget the first time I put together a saw....nor for that matter the BS,jointer,DC....they all foreign looking things in boxes and spent more time pondering than doing.

It's a solid ts - if you mount it IMO it takes care of the "perception" or fear of leg flex in it's entirety doesn't it.
              I'll hoist up the link to the thread I mentioned above for you to peek at - maybe some ideas spring out from it and you adapt to what you want.
              Like I've always said - I think the 3650 is very solid saw and hard to see where one can fualt it unless the expectation/perception thing gets in way.....or of course we get brainwashed into thinking it is a POS by others.
              Glad you received a discount too - makes it all the better.
              Let us know how she slices ---- you and jake both have the latest toys on the block. Good for you two!
              [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Yes but I'm playing with mine.. he he he

PUttin it together was a pain in the *** though. DOUGH! Used to figure myself mechanically inclined but moved my status back to inept when I was trying to fill in the gaps of manual.

I'm sure next time I assemble a CS if I ever do again, it'll be a breeze. My first one was used and put together already.

Hey Moon, I think you should trade it in for a 7,000 dollar european saw.... LOL

Have fun playing. Building things is the most relaxing thing I've found to date.

Jake

Comment

Jake - It's an unwritten WWer's rule that every other project is supposed to be something for the shop!

Comment

I have to agree with that unwritten rule! And will also add that most non-shop and some shop projects require the construction and use of special jigs or fixtures to make accurate cuts of one type or the other during these projects.

For me, I spent the summer getting the shop operational, from turning a storage barn into the shop including putting in a floor, adding electrical service, the whole 9 yards, and adding a connector between the shop and garage to eliminate going outside in weather to get to it. I then dedicated a little over a year to design and build things for the shop. To make working efficient and for tool storage.

Then I moved into making things for Josh. Along that way I other idea's that would inprove on performance and efficiency. Notes were taken and I've done some drawings.

My new plan of attack is based upon I like to spray finish the quality projects. Winter time is not a good time to do this. So winter months will be dedicated to shop improvements where most will be unfinished or of a brushed on painted finish. I then can dedicate time in the summer to use the garage where the exhaust fan is (from doing many years of auto body refinishing) to do the spray finsishing.

If I can get my schedule down correctly, it's possable to do a couple projects and just put them on hold during the winter and wait to finsih them when warm weather comes around. One thing I have noticed, and maybe it's just me. It takes me about twice as long to get something finished as it does to make it. Since I did auto refinishing, I seam stride for that dipped in glass look, which obviously takes a great deal more time!
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                      Hey moon.

I learned something funny at a woodworking show couple months. You dont' know it but every woodworker follows a path of projects that is almost funny.
                      First project = workbench
                      2nd project = Place for tools / accessories / etc
                      3rd projects = adirondack chairs
                      Them move onto things we will allow others to see.. LOL

Funniest thing to me was that the guy said this and it was exact order I had my projects either done or lined up.

Got a kick out of it.

Jake
                      (laughing uncontrollably!!! )

My first project was a coat rack, the second project was two Adirondak chairs for my mom. Third project was two adirondak chairs for wife. Fourth project was TS outfeed table

Really funny that everyone seems to make the same thing even though we never talk about it at the time to each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X