X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It OK to Beef up BS1400

I know thw the BS1400 has a 3/4 HP TEFC INDUCTION MOTOR but will this saw be able to stand up to a double the HP? I just got three 1 1/2 HP motors for free all are brand new, I plan on useing one for a dust collector, 1 for lathe and the last for beef up if posible?

[ 02-17-2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: BowHunter ]

Check the RPM of your new 1.5 HP motors. The BS1400 RPM is 1725- if your new motors are 3450, as I think they might be, DON'T switch them. If they are 1725, you should be able to swap them, with a resulting increase in torque, which would mean less RPM loss while sawing dense hardwood.

Comment

you can use a 3450 rpm motor, but you will have to change pulleys so that you reduce motor shaft to axle by 2:1. This however will cause loss of torque as well. By far it's better to retain the 1725 rpm rating on the motor to maintain torque for resawing. Or you can "Go For It" and see how well the bearings hold up and maintain the torque of the 1.5 hp @ 3450 rpm. Be prepared for thin cuts to move quickly or burn wood & blade.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

May lose some torque, but if he's gaining 2 x hp, will be a torque upgrade. ???

Yes???

Jake

Comment

correct me if I am wrong but the torque increases as the gear box (pulleys) reduce the shaft speed.
          So 3450 to 1725 would double the torque.
          The torque of a 1725 rpm motor would be the same as the torque available from a 3450 rpm motor with a 2:1 gearbox.
          The available torque from a 1.5 hp motor is roughly double the torque available from a 0.75 HP motor.
          By changing your motor you should effectively double the stall torque of your bandsaw as long as you keep the final blade speed the same

Comment

This was exactly my point in my initial reply. We still need to know for sure the RPM rating of the 1.5 HP motor, and the amp rating will have some effect, too. The stock BS1400 runs at 2700 feet per minute. I definitly reccomend against running the saw at 5400 FPM- burning wood will probably be the least of your worries. As someone with machine design experience (horizontal mills), I can tell you that it's almost never a good idea to operate any machinery at twice the standard speed- it just wouldn't be safe.

For reference- check out Machinery's Handbook, 26th edition, page 2454. The formula for running torque (T) is T=5250 X HP divided by N (N is the running speed in RPM, 5250 is the combined constant converting HP to foot-pounds per minute and work per revolution into torque).
            Using this formula, we find that a .75 HP motor that runs at 1725 RPM has the same running torque as a 1.5 HP motor that runs at 3450. If, however, the label on the 1.5 HP motor says it's a 1725 RPM motor, the torque is nearly doubled. Again, we need to know the RPM rating of this motor. Knowing the amp rating will also help us to determine what we can expect to see in RPM loss under load.

[ 02-18-2004, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: brantstx ]

Comment

Thanks all I will look at the specs of the motors as you recomended by all here. again thank to everyone for your input. I was looking to resaw some Osage and Black Oak and did not want it stall out as it had in the past thought the extra HP and tourqe would be the ticket .

[ 02-18-2004, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: BowHunter ]

Comment

Working...
              X