13 inch planers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 inch planers

I have a Ridgid TP1300 planer, with a two knife cutterhead. I'm not satisfied with the planers finish even with new knives. I am trying to find out if the 3 knife cutterhead on the R4330 model is compatible with my older model, or if there is a spiral cutter head out there that will fit my machine. Does anyone have knowledge of the quality of cut with the 3 knife model? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

I have been very happy with my DeWalt DW735 since day one. The on board chip blower, 3 knife cutter head and two speed settings provide a glass smooth finish. Before investing in a spiral cutter head or replacing you planer with a R4330 I would suggest you at least take a look at the DeWalt. IMO, the DW735 is the best of the bench top planers. I don't believe that there are any current sales going on for this planer right now but if you are able to wait for one the DW735 does go on sale fairly often.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I also have the DeWalt DW735 close to 11 years now. with careful wood
      preparation I have replaced the blades twice!..On the other hand I
      will admit I do not use it as much as I should, never the less an
      excellent planer.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by dwhobrey View Post
        I have a Ridgid TP1300 planer, with a two knife cutterhead. I'm not satisfied with the planers finish even with new knives. I am trying to find out if the 3 knife cutterhead on the R4330 model is compatible with my older model, or if there is a spiral cutter head out there that will fit my machine. Does anyone have knowledge of the quality of cut with the 3 knife model? Anyone have any suggestions?
        Thanks
        Yes, you can get a spiral cutterhead for your TP1300, but you won't like the price.

http://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_...ners_by_RIDGID
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, valuable information. Bob D., your right about the price of those spiral cutter heads, they are very proud of them. At this point, I'm still doing research and appreciate all the help I can get.

Comment

Here's a possible source for a cutter head and knives.

Site is kinda confusing as it does not say what jointers or planers their products will fit.

Guess you have to email or call to find out. They are in Canada.

http://www.tersaknives.com/
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X