Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching to buy a good wet diamond core drill rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Searching to buy a good wet diamond core drill rig

    Hi guys. I've been searching for 4 days now for some info, up to date info -2014-, on diamond core drills rigs, wet or dry, from actual users and not advertising agents, I'm in the market to buy one. I will be using this rig for holes from 2 inches to 12 inches the most, I think. Probably 4 holes a day maximum. I've found quite a few brands, some very expensive, some not that expensive, and I wanted to know, which brand and model, from your own experience, is the best. Brands are: Hilti, by far the most expensive from my knowledge, Cardi, Weka, Milwaukee, Rems, Bosch, Makita, Husqvarna, Shibuya, Eibenstock, etc. If you know more brands, you're welcome to post them.

    I've only found info on Hilti rigs, only good stuff; on Cardi, very little info; on Weka, again little info and bad experience with them from a user, but only one comment; nothing about Husqvarna, and other brands. I may not have been very thorough with my searches, but there are so many brands out there, and these things cost ALOT of money, very few people will actually have the possibility to compare products. So I'm hoping to find someone here who may have tested and worked with more brands and has a pretty good idea about them. I think this info will help some people who just don't have time to look and search forums and google shows only advertised products.

    Good diamond bit brands for reinforced concrete are much welcomed to, if you know any.
    Last edited by rugvlad; 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

  • #2
    I own several both hand held and stand mounted with and without tilt and vacuum mounting. my smaller hand held/ stand is my weka 3 speed with clutch.rated to 6", but I've done larger. While my milwaukee is much heavier all around including the stand. Not a hand held unit. Have both the clutch and shear pin models. Also have a custom mount for curb and tight access.

    my eibenstock is stand mounted, but is easily hand held. Also a slip clutch for safety.

    with a large range of holes, you really need 2 machines as the hand held are simple to use for smaller more portable hole drilling, the larger stand mount are a beast. The Milwaukees I own are 20 amp and having an amp meter is a valuable accessory.

    what line of business are you in? This would help to know what would work best.

    Rick.

    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm a construction worker right now, trying to save money for a good rig because in my country in Europe, people earn a good bit with these things. The holes would be for: draining pipes, exhaust holes, gas pipes, HVAC pipes, etc. I don't see myself buying two rigs, although you are right to have two, one for small holes and another for bigger ones, but what I'm interested in is the quality of the rig and mostly the motor, the brand that makes it. I don't know how you would use an amp meter, but I'm guessing why you would need one. The current in Europe is 220V, so a powerful motor would require around 16-20 amp, but the motors that I've searched were 16 amp.

      Those vacuum stands are good? Did they ever fail on you? I'm guessing it's way more convenient to operate a vacuum type of rig than to drill holes for the stand.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        I own several both hand held and stand mounted with and without tilt and vacuum mounting. my smaller hand held/ stand is my weka 3 speed with clutch.rated to 6", but I've done larger. While my milwaukee is much heavier all around including the stand. Not a hand held unit. Have both the clutch and shear pin models. Also have a custom mount for curb and tight access.

        my eibenstock is stand mounted, but is easily hand held. Also a slip clutch for safety.

        with a large range of holes, you really need 2 machines as the hand held are simple to use for smaller more portable hole drilling, the larger stand mount are a beast. The Milwaukees I own are 20 amp and having an amp meter is a valuable accessory.

        what line of business are you in? This would help to know what would work best.

        Rick.
        And thank you for your comment.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have hilti, weka, Shibuya in electric models. The Weka, and Shibuya are great units the hilti was a good unit except that if you need parts you have to send the hiltis in as parts are not sold to consumers. If you do some more research you may like the hydraulic units that are also available, sure you need a hydraulic power pack to run them but they are way stronger and faster than the electric units. We very rarley use the electric ones anymore unless it is just one hole. We have Stanley and Atlas Copco. I have never bought an air unit but I would also consider one for big holes. One thing I learned is it is not smart to buy cheap bits your speed is terrible and they where out fast, you get what you pay for.
          Seattle Drain Service

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            I have hilti, weka, Shibuya in electric models. The Weka, and Shibuya are great units the hilti was a good unit except that if you need parts you have to send the hiltis in as parts are not sold to consumers. If you do some more research you may like the hydraulic units that are also available, sure you need a hydraulic power pack to run them but they are way stronger and faster than the electric units. We very rarley use the electric ones anymore unless it is just one hole. We have Stanley and Atlas Copco. I have never bought an air unit but I would also consider one for big holes. One thing I learned is it is not smart to buy cheap bits your speed is terrible and they where out fast, you get what you pay for.
            I don't know what you would need for a hydraulic rig, I'm guessing that would be for a pro, not a small consumer like me. I'm thinking that for holes of 5" you would not need a hydraulic rig. For me, 5" holes are the holes that I would drill the most, through reinforced concrete.

            If a guy actually decides to buy a hydraulic rig, what are the brands you would suggest? Also, can you name some good brands of diamond bits for reinforced concrete?

            Comment


            • #7
              I like the Core Bore Premium bits. And if I had to buy an electric I would get a Shibuya because they are a little lighter and the small stand mounts real easy for walls. I found it was the one everybody always grabbed to go do some vertical drilling.
              Seattle Drain Service

              Comment


              • #8
                And also Diteq is the best brand core bits if there is rebar
                Seattle Drain Service

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hydraulic is an overkill and a large expense plus not very portable as the powerpak is typically a gas unit with limited hose length. In an explosive atmosphere, its probably a requirement, but in everyday use, it's not the norm.

                  reinforced concrete, rebar can be drilled with segmented diamond core bits. Wire mesh can also be drilled with segnented bits, but a continuous rim diamond will not catch on the space between the segments.

                  sharpening of the diamonds can be accomplished with silica sand and normal cement block. The silica will expose more diamond in the matrix mix.

                  good quality core bits can be retipped by a good shop that does this work. Brazed on segments are wet only while welded segments can be used dry for smaller holes in softer materials.

                  Rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you guys for the info. I'm searching right now for Shibuya and Diteq.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rugvlad View Post
                      Thank you guys for the info. I'm searching right now for Shibuya and Diteq.
                      Shibuya and Diteq are the same? I'm looking at diteq site and the one that I was interested, model TS-353ABV doesn't have 220V model. What do you guys think of Weka SR 38 Mammut model? The reason I'm interested in that model is the fact that it has an oil bath lubrication. Maybe it's a good thing. Also, there are very few manufacturers, from what I've seen, that post the torque of their motors.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Rick the hydraulic units are smaller than electric models but can do a larger hole. They are safer too like the k60 the clutch on newest versions is just hydraulic control through the trigger switch lite trigger gives slow and wimpy, full trigger is go time but you just let go if it starts to stick. Most of the modern hand held hydraulics have a shoulder mount too so you can really push it forward with your body weight. Up to 8" holes with a handheld is pretty impressive. Here is a link to the newer one we bought.
                        http://www.crowderhydraulictools.com/core-drills.htm
                        But we always have a hydraulic unit on most jobs as we use the jackhammers because of the same reasons lighter than pneumatic or electric and more powerful. We use hydraulic chain saws for our concrete cuts and even our pipe cutting. Then we use hydraulic tampers for backfilling. Hydraulics are not for everybody but it is a smaller package than bringing a trailer compressor most of the time.
                        Seattle Drain Service

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Now here is a big boy hydraulic unit, price is pretty good too I just have no use for it.
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/i-4162-Heavy...item4d1bdc8cb3
                          Seattle Drain Service

                          Comment


                          • rugvlad
                            rugvlad commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think hydraulic, although strong, doesn't do it for me. I see 2 cables that probably goes to 2 tanks. The most holes I'm gonna drill are 6" so an electric one with a vacuum base for convenience sounds good to me. The Weka SR38 caught my attention because they advertise 18 speeds total. 18!!!! 3 manual and each manual speed has 6 speeds from the motor, to 18 total. It has a motor of 16 amp, 3.700 W which I can draw them from the owner's house or just buy a small 5kv generator for easy lifting. Although I would love to buy Hilti, I've read somewhere, maybe a little bit up, that they don't sell components of the motor. I've seen that almost everyone sells that, if I'm not mistaken.

                            If were talking about wet diamond bits for reinforced concrete. what do you guys think of these:

                            http://www.rothenberger-romania.ro/i...ed-star-detail

                            Anyone ever heard of Rothenberger bits? Ever used one?

                        • #14
                          Anybody used Diaquip Aero drills? Especially the purple ones? Someone wrote to me that they are very good.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X