Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Reaction to extremely cold temps.

Seasons Greetings all! I've been reading the forum for about 3 months now and have decided to make a Ridgid purchase following X-Mas. They even extended the warranty for me (LOL) Alright. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how these cordless power tools handle cold MN temps, I read elsewhere that if you run the batt. on the charger for a few minutes prior to use it will in effect "wake it up, and get it moving". That's fine, but what about exposure, for example in the back of a pickup for a few hours, should I be concerned about cracked battery cases etc. They can certainly ride with me inside, I was just wondering. Thanks in advance.
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!

I can't speak for the effects of the extreme cold on the tools but surely they would be no different than DeWalt or others since the casings are pretty much made out of the same composites, but charging might be interesting. The manual says not to charge below 50 degrees I believe. It's not clear from the manual, but it says the fan will run and when the battery reaches the minimum temperature it will begin to charge. Might want to check that out.

Comment

Hey fellow Minnesotan
      I leave mine in the truck at night all week long
      (Use it on the job site during the day),then bring it in on the weekend let it warm up and charge it. Usually get a week out of the 2 batterys.
      What part of Mn you from?
      I'm from Southern Mn(Between Albert Lea and Owatanna.
      Good Luck with your purchase. I think your going to love it.
      Dennis

Comment

Hey thanks Dennis! I am originally from EXTREME northern MN, and travel there frequently for ice fishing and deer hunting etc. As you know the temps often dip to -20 or more in those parts and I don't want to have to worry about my tools if they are left out-doors overnight. Thanks alot for sharing your experience. I live in Woodbury, and commute to Burnsville for work.
        Nels

[ 12-17-2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: MN_Chef ]

Comment

You would be surprised as to just how much heat a 100 watt light bulb gives off. You could set up a clip on shop light and an extension cord just to keep the cold off.......

Dbonzi
          CLarks Grove or Ellendale?
          Support Our Troops!
          www.mnpatriotguard.org
          www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Originally posted by MN_Chef:
            Hey thanks Dennis! I am originally from EXTREME northern MN, and travel there frequently for ice fishing and deer hunting etc. As you know the temps often dip to -20 or more in those parts and I don't want to have to worry about my tools if they are left out-doors overnight. Thanks alot for sharing your experience. I live in Woodbury, and commute to Burnsville for work.
            Nels
            You "southern guys", sheeesh. My cabin is on Rainy River .... and just maybe why I'm not there to much in winter
            I love to think about the ice and hacking a nice lil' ol' hole thru 30" plus. Wonder what cordless drill could do that
            KM has good and simple solution - you gotta get 'em warm before even entertaining putting a charge on 'em and a light bulb for a short time will do it.
            Care to ask me how many batteries I toasted up on my Makita....yep, every stinking one. All 4. They worked after the initial charge for a bit, then never held a charge again. Live and learn but I really should have known better, I really shoulda. [img]redface.gif[/img]

[ 12-18-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Ah yes, beautiful Rainy River. I grew up on Lake Vermilion, and maintain a permanent fishhouse there all winter. There isn't access to an outlet in the middle of a lake, so, I'll probably let the thing ride on the dashboard or under the dash for an hour or so, that should do it. As for the deer stand, maybe some beaming rays of sunshine will brighten my day, or perhaps a propane heater.

Comment

Hey fellas just wanted to give my 2 cents. I'm from minneapolis and have been doing a large remodeling job for the last month. I noticed when it got down to around 20 or less, the run time on the batteries was horrible. It didn't seen to affect the drill much but the circ saw and rec sac were another story. I've started storing the tools in the customers house at night and that has made a huge difference, much like a car battery the overnight freeze just kills them.

Comment

K.M
                  Acually a little farther west.
                  New Richland. You might have heard of it, very small, under 1600 people. Never would have guessed there is people on here from Minnesota.
                  Wow small world.
                  great to hear from ya.
                  Dennis

Comment

Heard of it? Of course. I drive by New Rich everyday on my way to Waseca (work).
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

wow a lot of minnesoooootan's on here. I am a burnsville guy myself.

I have a big dewalt 5 pack that I use every day. (i am carpenter) Yes the cold tends to kill the charge in them, but I throw one in the charger and work my way through the other 3 I have with the kit and by the time I get through them, the first one is charged. Not much you can do besides that. I am not going to leave my tools sitting on a site, or make the extra effort of bringing them in the house or something like that. I have been doing it for quite a few years and have never had a problem with the actual batteries life. Matter of a fact, I think the average battery life is 2 years, I have a few drills that are near 10 and still hold their charge just fine.

Brew

Comment

Yeah, I'm worried about my batteries too.
                        I'm in Raleigh, NC and it's 40 degrees... Brrrrrr.
                        I bet you S. Florida guys are freezing as well.
                        I heard it got down in the 40's the other night.

Comment

Working...
                        X