R4331 Planer Feed Stutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4331 Planer Feed Stutter

This might be an issue that someone else could help me with. After renting an R4331, I decided to buy one for occasional use and ended up picking up a recertified unit from a somewhat nearby shop. After bringing it home, I made sure the feed rollers were perfectly clean, the blades sharp, and the table waxed with the same SC Johnson paste wax that I use on my other woodworking tools. Since then, I have only used it once or twice and have probably run less than fifty feet of material through and, while I'm satisfied with the cut, I'm somewhat annoyed with a "stutter" it has had in feeding from the get-go. It doesn't particularly affect the finish a great deal, leaving only a slight glassy mark every several inches that is easily sanded into consistency with the rest, but I would like it to feed through smoothly. At the moment, it will feed a few--or several--inches, depending on the cut depth, and then pause for a moment, feed some more, pause, and so on, through the end of the pass. It does the same even without the cutters making contact with the material. On examination, it only does it with material under the feed rollers; if it is run without, the feed turns at a constant rate.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this, and is it worth trying to repair/have it repaired, or should I just live with it?

want to say welcome,
    I do not have a planer like that, so no suggestions there, sorry.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I took a look at the parts, list, https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/me...&type=document if that link does not work try this page and click on the parts list https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/13-inch-thickness-planer any way if I am under standing correctly the feed rollers stop ever few inches of travel, looking at the parts list, it looks like to me, that about the only part that could cause that, is the "gear box" number 22 and my guess would be a few teeth mission on the gear, unless there is some thing I am not seeing or understanding.I would think if a set screw was not tight it would just spin, and the drive rollers would not turn.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

It was a good guess but, unfortunately, a no-go. Pulled the gear box off and inspected each gear but couldn't find any stripped or broken. It has me completely baffled.

Comment

DO the rollers stop or do they slip(continue to rotate but the lumber does not move?
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The rollers stop momentarily and the unit clicks like a slipping gear does. I am cleaning the gear box now to make sure the re isn't something packed in the grease that's forcing the gears apart. I don't know what could be causing it other than that.

Comment

May have found the problem. I went ahead and pulled the rollers for cleaning while it's opened up and noticed that the roller bearings on the drive end are severely chewed up. One of them has been ground to an oblong shape and prevented the attached roller from turning smoothly. It "jumping" around in there was probably what caused the snapping noise. Have to order some replacements, regardless; so I'll see if that fixes it.

Comment

while the rollers are out roll them on a flat surface and see if there shafts are not bent,

as I was thinking about this, about the only other thing I could think of is a bent shaft on one or both of the rollers, that would allow the chain to jump, on a sprocket,

the thing that is still puzzling to me, is the consistency of the problem,

if it was just a worn bearing, my thinking would be it would loosen and jump, but no in a consistence pattern,

my guess is your coming close to the problem,

(my planer is old Belsaw, and it used a chain drive as well, but it has a safety in it at if all else it will jump a roller chain if the tension torque is to great on the rollers), but if it does jump or ratchet, for the most part it does not stop until the blockage is removed or the problem is corrected,

Is the worn bearing on your machine on the double sprocket drive roller, (if the chain has been jumping/slipping on the sprocket should be polished some on it teeth ends).

hope you figure it out and it is not that expensive to repair,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by awmosby View Post
                  May have found the problem. I went ahead and pulled the rollers for cleaning while it's opened up and noticed that the roller bearings on the drive end are severely chewed up. One of them has been ground to an oblong shape and prevented the attached roller from turning smoothly. It "jumping" around in there was probably what caused the snapping noise. Have to order some replacements, regardless; so I'll see if that fixes it.
                  Not sure but your photo does not show any bearing unless it is a sleeve bearing. If those two pieces you posted are the bearings and there are no roller bearings that seems like a poor design. If there is a roller bearing that is inserted into the piece you posted then it sounds like the bearing seized up and the race was spinning in the block which eventually wore to the condition you found. Either way doesn't sound like a quality machine. I sure hope my planer is not made the same way.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• awmosby
                    awmosby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It certainly is a poor design, but those are the bearings; the parts diagram refers to them as "bearing blocks" and they are just sleeved onto the roller shafts. They seem pretty impractical, as they are smooth-bored; they aren't channeled for any sort of lubrication and the fit is pretty snug. The best I'll be able to do is coat it in graphite or lithium grease before reassembly. It makes me regret getting rid of my older Rockwell for a benchtop model.
                    Last edited by awmosby; 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  while the rollers are out roll them on a flat surface and see if there shafts are not bent,

as I was thinking about this, about the only other thing I could think of is a bent shaft on one or both of the rollers, that would allow the chain to jump, on a sprocket,

the thing that is still puzzling to me, is the consistency of the problem,

if it was just a worn bearing, my thinking would be it would loosen and jump, but no in a consistence pattern,

my guess is your coming close to the problem,

(my planer is old Belsaw, and it used a chain drive as well, but it has a safety in it at if all else it will jump a roller chain if the tension torque is to great on the rollers), but if it does jump or ratchet, for the most part it does not stop until the blockage is removed or the problem is corrected,

Is the worn bearing on your machine on the double sprocket drive roller, (if the chain has been jumping/slipping on the sprocket should be polished some on it teeth ends).

hope you figure it out and it is not that expensive to repair,
                  The shafts are still straight and the sprockets had no visual glazing. I think that it was slipping inside the gearbox, rather than at the chain sprockets. The internal gears have very fine teeth and the box itself has a small amount of play in the sleeves, probably just enough that the internals could be forcibly separated if the rollers were pulling against them.

Comment

really a sleeve bearings are not bad design, sleeve bearings are used in many many, machines, but just like any bearing the do need lubrication, my Belsaw planer has Oilite Bearings on the rollers,
                    many electric motors have sleeve bearings, even your car engine most likely has sleeve bearing on the crank,

in the picture the bearing look like aluminum and most small gas engines the bearings are aluminum.

but like I said it needs lubrication, to work properly,

my guess is there would be more problems with roller type bearings, unless the seals were very good,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have a a R4331 that is doing the exact same thing. Was a final conclusion reached as to what is causing this problem? Thanks!

Comment

I too am having the same problem. Initial cause was a jam. It broke a gear which I replaced with a new one from Ridgid. The stutter hasn't gone away though. Was there ever any resolution on this?

Thanks!
                        Treffin

Comment

I adjusted feeder rollers and lubricated everything. However it is still suttering and has broken a total of 3 sprocket gears. It works fine on smaller widths. But wide boards are the problem. I am hoping someone will respond with a solution.

Comment

have you checked the bearing the original poster replaced, or are the rollers shafts worn?
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X